The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Ewanrigg Hall, Maryport

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Unerigg; vnerigg

In the civil parish of Maryport.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Cumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY046353
Latitude 54.70382° Longitude -3.48410°

Ewanrigg Hall, Maryport has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Ewanrigg Hall was founded in 1368, rebuilt c.1640 and the ruin completely demolished in 1903. There may have been a pele-tower, and possibly traces of 14th C. work remain (Curwen; Collingwood).
A curving bank with ditch, centred at NY 0437 3544, are visible on air photographs to the north of Ewanrigg Hall and probably represent a boundary to the estate. The boundary is respected to the north by post medieval ridge and furrow cultivation, this together with the fact that the boundary is fairly well-preserved, indicates a post medieval date. It is recorded on Ordnance Survey mapping dating from 1873. (PastScape)

Formerly a late C18 mansion, now reduced to provide a farmhouse and buildings. Only intact portion is present farmhouse to the right, of 2 storeys in red sandstone ashlar with slated roof. 3 windows above triple-arcaded ground floor with 2 windows with later hung sashes with glazing bars and centre door of 6 fielded panels with 3-light rectangular fanlight. Moulded eaves cornice. To the left of this, a portion of the former novae has been cut down, projecting ends with 2 windows each, centre of window-door-window. Band between this storey and remains of upper storey with 2-3-2 windows. Ground floor has moulded round head with triple keystone to centre door. Band at around floor cills. To the left, arcaded treatment of 3 bays on 1 storey contains 3 windows. There was a house on this site in 1368 (probably a pele) rebuilt circa 1640 and demolished 1903. (Listed Building Report)

The old house, "built castlewise (Mr. T. Denton, writing in 1688, says, Mr. Ewan Christian hath built a good house out of the shell of an old tower.)," spoken of by Nicolson, has been taken down, and a modern mansion, which commands a fine sea view, built on the site. (Lysons)

To the south east of Maryport stood Ewanrigg Hall Pele Tower (SMR 823) which was founded in 1368 and rebuilt and enlarged in 1640. The ruins of the building were completely demolished in 1903 (Pevsner, 1967). (Extensive Urban Survey)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:53

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact