The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Brittany Inn

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Pembroke's Inn; Bergavenny House; Stationers' Hall

In the civil parish of City Of London.
In the historic county of London and Middlesex.
Modern Authority of City and County of the City of London.
1974 county of Greater London.
Medieval County of City of London.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ3182681197
Latitude 51.51439° Longitude -0.10134°

Brittany Inn has been described as a Fortified Town House although is doubtful that it was such.

There are no visible remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


at the north ende of Aue Mary lane, is one great house builded of stone and timber, of old time pertaining to Iohn Duke of Britaine, Earle of Richmond, as appeareth by the Records of Ed. the second: since that it is called Pembrooks Inne, nere vnto Ludgate, as belonging to the Earles of Pembrooke in the times of Ric. the 2. the 18. yeare: and of Henry the 6. in the xiiii. yeare. It is now called Burgaueny house, and belongeth to Henry late Lord of Burgaueny. (Stow)

Comitissa Penbrochiae occupat unum turellum, aedificatum cum cameris et ellario super solum communitatis ex parte Boreali. (Munimenta Gildhallae)

In 1331 John of Brittany, Earl of Richmond, granted his property in England, which included Britanny Inn, to Mary, widow of Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke. In 1352 an inspections of encroachment near Ludgate by the City found that the countess had built a small tower (turellum) 'cum cameris et cellario' on the common soi; in 1358 the great gate of the hostel of the Countess was mentioned. (Schofield)

Nothing to suggest this tower and gate, at the north end of Ave Maria Lane, were particularly fortified although it seems likely to have had decorative military architectural features like crenellations. Stationers Hall was constructed from the building in 1611, subsequently destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and then rebuilt on much the same footprint. The PastScape record, referencing the RCHME Inventory writes 'The core of the walls of the basement may perhaps be part of the house of Lord Abergavenny.'
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape       Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact