The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Hatfield Palace, South Yorkshire

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Heathfeld; Heatfeld

In the civil parish of Hatfield.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of Doncaster.
1974 county of South Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE66300932
Latitude 53.57630° Longitude -1.00016°

Hatfield Palace, South Yorkshire has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


A Saxon palace at this location may only be a product of local tradition, although King Edwin of Northumbria was slain at the battle of Hatfield in 633 by Penda of Cadwallon. Hatfield was granted to the Warennes shortly after the Norman Conquest and the names of several early tenants are known. In 1270 repairs to the roof of the manor house are recorded. In 1327 the manor passed to the crown and it served as a Royal hunting lodge for three hundred years, sometimes being referred to as a palace. In 1628 the king granted the manor to Sir Cornelius Vermuyden who had supervised the draining of the Hatfield Levels. For much of the 16th and 17th century the house was owned by the Ingram family of Temple Newsam. The South Yorkshire county archaeology service did building recording and limited excavations during the early 1980s. These revealed parts of the house dating back to the 1170/80s, and recorded the 13th or 14th century tower, and 16th century Tudor 'Great Chamber' and later 19th and early 20th century remodeling. The remains of the Norman Hall are only paralleled in the north of England by Burton Agnes Old Hall near Bridlington. (South Yorkshire SMR ref. Ryder, 1983)

Manor house. C12 hall remodelled and extended C16 and C17, the whole remodelled in the C18. Roughcast ashlar and brick, Welsh slate roof. Now T-shaped with C12 hall projecting by 2 bays to west of later north-south range, 2 and 3 storeys. South (entrance) front: 4-bay range to right has plinth and French window to bay 2 beneath C20 pantiled porch; other bays have sashes with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds with projecting sills. Eaves cornice to hipped roof with lateral stack on left and large ridge stack set back on right. C12 hall-block set back on left: exposed foundation with well-preserved chamfered plinth. On lent a large 4-pane casement with leaded lights in C18 flat-arched surround, similar surround to casement with glazing bars on right; between the windows an intact, infilled, C12 window; jambs of similar windows flank the right-hand casement. 1st floor: C12 floor band cut back to wall; 2 large sashes with glazing bars as over porch. Cornice and hipped roof as adjacent bays; ridge stack. Rear: C12 range on right has broad projection (formerly a lateral stack) and 4 ground-floor windows with ashlar surrounds. 1st floor: to left of projection a large sash with glazing bars to stair window flanked on its left by remains of a C17 window itself cutting a C12 doorway; to right of projection a C16 1st-floor doorway (now window) with chamfered surround and triangular-headed lintel. Rear of wing on left has 2 doorways and horizontally-sliding sashes on 3 floors. Right return: 4 bays on left generally as front, no windows to ground-floor bays 1 and 2, blind surrounds over; blind rectangular window to 1st floor centre has chamfered surround. 2 bays set back on right have mostly blind surrounds, sash to ground-floor left. Left return: C12 hall-black has chamfered plinth stepping down at quoined door position (now a 2-light double-chamfered, mullioned window). Intact C12 window on right with chamfered, quoined surround and cusped head. 1st floor: string course cut back, C18 blind window on left. History: traditionally regarded as on the site of King Edwin of Northumbria's palace. Hatfield was granted to the Warenne family c1070 and the house must have been built during their ownership prior to temporary seizure of the Warenne estates by Thomas of Lancaster in 1317. In 1336 Edward III's son, William of Hatfield was born here (he died in infancy and is buried in York Minster). The house reverted to the Crown in 1347 and, as a hunting lodge, its visitors included Edward Balliol (ex-King of Scotland); Elizabeth, Countess of Ulster, probably in the company of John of Gaunt and Geoffrey Chaucer (then a page). Thought to have seen visits by the Black prince in 1360 and Edmund Langley, Earl of Cambridge and Duke of York in 1381. Used by the Duke of Narfoll: in 1536 during negotiations over the Rising of the North and referred to by John Leland c1540 who noted that 'the log or manor place is but meanly builded of tymbar'. In 1628 granted by the Crown to Sir Cornelius Vermuyden, drainer of the lands around Hatfield; sold by him in 1630 to Sir Arthur Ingran in whose family it remained for several generations. (Listed Building Report)

England notes traditional side of palace of Edwin of Northumbria, N. of graveyard and High St, W.of Station Rd, near St. Lawrence's Church. Possibly later fortified; hunting lodge for Hatfield Chase. Baines etc mentioned 2nd son of Edward III born there; Fletcher said Edward de Balliol deposed King of Scotland died here 1363. Baines refers to a moat, possibly the same structure. Magilton draws attention to mounds at SE 658 087 in the grounds of the Bow House, incorporating a ruined ice house, and at SE658 087 {sic}. In view of reusage for such purposes elsewhere, either or both could represent recycle mottes. (Sneyd 1995)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/7/2017 8:57:14 am

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact