GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Cornhill Tower

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Cornhill House

In the civil parish of Cornhill on Tweed.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of County Palatinate of Durham.

OS Map Grid Reference: NT85553924
Latitude 55.64655° Longitude -2.23102°

Cornhill Tower has been described as a probable Tower House.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Dodds says that the tower and barmkin were built in 1382 half a mile to the South-East in Cornhill village to guard a new ford across the river (Dodds, 1999). (PastScape)

Cornhill House. This house is thought to be built around a late 16th or early 17th century strong house. The 18th and 19th century alterations and extensions hide the earlier parts of the building and no early features are visible. An even earlier tower is recorded at Cornhill and remnants of a building foundation north of the house have been proposed as its site. (Keys to the Past)

House. Probably late C16 or early C17, remodelled and extended early and mid C18. Nursery wing added early C19 and extended mid C19. Roughcast with painted stone surrounds to doors and windows; Welsh slate roof, brick chimneys. Irregular plan. 3 storeys and 2 storeys in different parts. East (garden) front in 3 sections. In the centre the gable end of the original building has one 12-pane sash on ground floor and one small square window in the attic; crow-stepped gable. Left early C18 section incorporating older masonry: 2 storeys, 3 bays; C19 12-pane sashes. Right early C18 section has irregular openings: Victorian canted bay window on ground floor; above three 12-pane sashes and one 6-pane sash, all with thick glazing bars. Very steeply- pitched roofs with raised coping and kneelers. C19 chimneys. Right return: C18 wing projects to left. Right of that 3-bay south front of original building has 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars. Rear facade has gable end of original building to left with small square attic window and crow-stepped gable. Early C19 Nursery wing to right has tripartite doorway to left then a recessed section with elaborate iron balcony in front. Interior: original house has walls c.3 ft. thick. Dining room has mid-C18 panelling and plaster modillion cornice, 2 doorways with pulvinated friezes and cornices. Small drawing room has C18 panelling and stone fireplace with eared architrave. 3-storey stair round oval well: cut string, shaped tread ends, turned balusters with square knops and moulded and ramped handrail. In the attic an early C17 stone fireplace with geometric patterns in the lintel. Passageway on 1st floor has 2 round arches with heavily-moulded archivolts, imposts and keystones. Described as "the ancient seat of the Collingwoods" by Mackenzie. (Listed Building Report)

The street, from the church, forms a wide avenue, at the foot of which stands the ancient seat of the Collingwood family. It is an old house, built in form of a cross, on the top of a fine terraced lawn, from which there is a delightful view of the fertile vales below (Mackenzie, 1825)
Comments

Most authors, including Mackenzie, have assumed the castle/tower of Cornhill recorded as taken by the French in 1549 and recorded in C16 lists was at the site of the Cornhill Castle earthworks. PastScape seem to have accepted Dodds view that this castle was abandoned in the C14 and the later historical references are to this possible tower house in the village. It should be noted the Cornhill Castle earthwork are heavily damaged but don't contain evidence of masonry buildings.
The current Cornhill house is not cross shaped but if the precursor building was of this form then it may have been taking an architectural reference from Warkworth Castle where the cross shaped Great Tower dates from about 1380. This tower is attributed to John Lewyn. As the bishop of Durham's mason his work would have been well known in this area.
The current Coldstream Bridge was built 1763. Does this represent the site of the medieval crossing point(s)? Did these change from the date of the construction of Cornhill Castle and Cornhill Tower?
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 02/02/2017 13:45:45

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤