The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 


Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Exe Bridge

In the civil parish of Exeter.
In the historic county of Devonshire.
Modern Authority of Devon.
1974 county of Devon.
Medieval County of Devon.

OS Map Grid Reference: SX91609211
Latitude 50.71906° Longitude -3.53584°

Exebridge has been described as a probable Fortified Bridge.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


The Old Exe Bridge survives particularly well as one of the best-preserved examples of a major medieval stone bridge of its date built in England. Constructed around the year 1200 it spanned the waters of the River Exe for almost 600 years until its partial demolition in 1778. Excavation has demonstrated that St Edmund's Church, which stood on the bridge, formed part of the original construction and that houses were built onto the bridge and surrounding banks during the medieval period. The monument will be informative about early bridge construction techniques in stone and the fabric of the bridge preserves medieval masonry in abundance; this masonry has been studied in detail. The ruins of the bridge, church, and tenements will be informative about medieval life and the lives of the inhabitants of Exeter during that period. The remains have been consolidated and are displayed as a monument within a landscaped park forming a visual and educational amenity.
The monument includes the surviving standing and buried remains of the medieval Exe Bridge (known as Old Exe Bridge) which once spanned the River Exe, together with the remains of St Edmund's Church, which was constructed on the bridge itself, and part of the rear house foundations of a series of medieval tenements which fronted onto Frog Street at the bridge's eastern end. The site lies on the east bank of the River Exe at a point where the river appears to have been much wider in former times allowing the possibility of a ford, although a succession of timber bridges may have been in existence from Roman times until the decision was taken to construct a stone bridge by the closing decade of the 12th century. The Old Exe bridge, which is Listed Grade II, took a diagonal course across the river running between the church of St Edmund on the city side and the church of St Thomas Becket on the opposite, western bank. As originally constructed the bridge is thought to have consisted of 17 or possibly 18 arches spanning a total distance of about 180m between the abutments. Of the original river arches eight survive fully exposed whilst part of a ninth is visible, these representing a little under half of the original length, ie: about 87m. A further length of about 25m of bridge lies buried beneath Edmund Street and the modern bank of the Exe. The span of the arches varies from 3.66m to 5.68m. The first four arches on the Exeter side are segmental (almost semicircular) but the fifth to ninth alternate between pointed (two centred) and segmental vaults. All the arches are of ribbed construction. The segmental arches each have three rectangular sectioned ribs, 1m wide, whilst the pointed ones have either four or five, narrow, chamfered ribs 0.6m wide. All but the first arch are strengthened with one, or sometimes two 'arch rings' above the first set of voussoirs and many are chamfered along their lower edges. The bridge is on average 5m in width and it carried a roadway some 4m wide if allowance is made for the parapets which no longer exist. The height of the roadway above the river rose from about 3m at the Exeter abutment to over 6m above the ninth arch. Some medieval paving of the roadway survives above the seventh arch whilst the rest is a modern reconstruction. The bridge piers are faced with local volcanic trap and sandstone ashlar; they were founded on bases of rubble and gravel contained within bays of wooden stakes driven into the riverbed. Dendrochronological (tree ring) dating has demonstrated that some of these oak stakes were felled in the years 1190-1200. The upstream cutwaters of the piers are pointed to break up the strength of the current whilst the downstream piers are rounded. Later repairs of the bridge fabric can be identified with some confidence where local Heavitree breccia stone has been used as this stone is known not to have been quarried before the mid-14th century. The western half of the bridge was demolished in 1778 following the construction of a new bridge which took a different alignment further upstream. St Edmund's Church, first recorded in 1214, formed an integral part of the bridge construction with its tower contiguous with the bridge. The floors of both the nave and chancel were supported above the river by the second and third bridge arches. The church was about 20m in length by 5.5m in width and it was entered from the bridge carriageway although archaeological evidence survives to suggest access could also be obtained from the river. It was rebuilt and extended on a number of occasions, principally in 1448-9 when a bell tower was added and around 1500 when a side aisle 12.6m long and 3m wide was built out from the north west wall. A final and extensive rebuild took place in 1833-4 although all ancient foundations were retained. In 1975 the church was partly demolished with much of the 19th century masonry removed, although all ancient walling was retained and the church stands with its tower surviving to its full original height. Only fragments survive of a chantry chapel of 1257 which stood opposite St Edmund's on the other side of the thoroughfare; it was suppressed in 1546 during the Dissolution. An accumulation of river-deposited sands against the riverbank on the north east side of the abutment and first arch of the bridge was used, by the 13th century, to provide reclaimed land for two medieval tenements. Excavation in 1975-9 revealed foundation walls of the rear parts of two houses which would have fronted onto Frog Street although it was not known by that name until the early 17th century. Both houses shared a rear river wall which would have provided some protection against flooding and both were shown to have a complex sequence of development from around 1240. The more completely excavated of the two was found to have been a rectangular hall-house with an internal side passage along its east wall. Its occupants appear to have been engaged in industrial activity, since in the late 13th century, two barrels were sunk into the house floor, the barrels probably having been used for soaking or tanning leather prior to leather working. The houses were finally demolished in the post-medieval period but the earliest foundations survive and comprise the medieval walls forming the property boundaries and room divisions of the two tenements. Documentary evidence for the bridge, church, and tenements, is extensive. The first known bridge chaplain is recorded in 1196 suggesting that the bridge had been erected by that date. St Edmund's Church on the east side of the bridge was certainly complete by around 1214 when it was mentioned in a list of Exeter Churches along with its companion Church of St Thomas Becket which stood at the western end of the bridge. The account rolls of the Bridge Wardens detailing the annual cost of repairs for the period 1343 to 1711 survive and they also include references to houses on the bridge which appear to have been of timber-frame construction. Study of these documents has shown that the Bridge Wardens paid for masons, carpenters, smiths, sawyers, labourers, and roofers, and for a multitude of various raw materials including brushwood which was made into wattling to protect the foundations of the bridge piers from the battering of driftwood and ice during winter. Supplementing the documentary evidence is the archaeological work which has confirmed that the bridge was standing by the early 13th century. The architectural detail and development of the bridge, St Edmund's Church, and the medieval tenements at the east end of the bridge, have all been detailed in a report by Stewart Brown. (Scheduling Report)

The east end of the bridge was the West Gate of the city defences. The west end of the bridge is now lost but is known to have had a chapel and was fortified with a battery in the Civil War. It may have also had a gate, although a gatehouse distinct from the chapel seems unlikely. Even without a gate the narrowness of the bridge, perhaps extenuated by houses on the bridge, will have made defending the bridge against attack feasible.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:53

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact