The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Denston Hall

In the civil parish of Denston.
In the historic county of Suffolk.
Modern Authority of Suffolk.
1974 county of Suffolk.
Medieval County of Suffolk.

OS Map Grid Reference: TL75865245
Latitude 52.14240° Longitude 0.56863°

Denston Hall has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


A fine early C18 house with a long range of C16 buildings at the rear, the remains of an early C16 house which is known to have stood on the site. The Hall has an interesting history. In 1564 Henry Cheyney made over the manor of Denston to William Burd without licence to alienate from the crown. Estate was therefore forfeited in 1565 but later returned. William Burd died in 1591, and by 1602 the estate had passed to his son, but was again seized by the crown, for debt and leased to Sir John Robinson. In 1617 it was bought by William Robinson, in whose family it stayed until the early part of the C19. The front part of the Hall is early C18, red brick and blue brick headers, with a parapet and a raised brick band. 2 storeys and attics. 2:5:2 window range on the east front, 3 window range on the inner faces of the wings (some blocked), and 4 window range on the south front. The windows are double-hung sashes with glazing bars in flush cased frames. A raised brick band runs between the storeys. A central Ionic porch projects on the front with fluted columns and a cornice. Roof slate, mansard, with 3 pedimented dormers on the main front, the centre dormer has a segmental pediment. The interior has a good circular hall with rooms to the left and right of it, circa 1770. The left hand room opens on to the staircase with a screen of 2 columns. The ceilings have Adam style ornamentation. The staircase has early C18 twisted balusters. At the rear of the C18 house there is a long range of C16 red brick buildings, part of the original house. It has brick mullioned windows with Tudor arches and brick hood moulds, also Tudor arched doorways with boarded doors with fillets. At the south end there is a fine room with moulded beam and joist ceiling with an embattled frieze and carved spandrels to the arched braced tie beams. There are some linenfold panels with heads in roundels. The room may have been used as a chapel. Roof tiled, with a chimney stack with 2 diagonally set shafts. (Listed Building Report)

Denston Hall. Original hall was surrounded by a square moat - shown on a C19 copy of an estate map of 1676, and on a map of 1778. W arm of moat only shown as surviving on 1:10560 map of 1958; modern 1:10000 map shows the W arm as a dry depression. Illustration of the Hall 1676 shows a tall brick gatehouse of late C15 early C16 type in the middle of the east side, attached to a ? timber-framed range fronting the moat. Stretches of crenellated walling linked this range with two small brick turrets at the NW and SW corners.
The gatehouse had been demolished by 1778 but the corner turrets still seem to be shown.
Present hall is an early C18 brick structure, but at the rear of this, along the western edge of the moat is a long brick range of C16 or Tudor date. This has brick mullioned windows and arched doorways. At the S end there is a room with a moulded beam and joist ceiling with an embattled frieze and carved spandrels to the arch-braced tie-beams. Also some linenfold panels with heads in roundels. Suggested that this may have been used as a chapel.
Manor acquired by John Broughton (d. 1479) through marriage with the daughter of John Denston. Held by his widow, Anne, until her death, 1481 and then by his brother, Sir Robert Broughton, d.1505 (will as of Denston proved 1507 PCC); Sir Robert succeeded by son, John (d. 1517) and grandson, John (d. 1529). Widow of John Broughton married 1526 John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford. Glass with Russell arms at the hall. (Suffolk HER)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 15/08/2017 15:56:55

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact