GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Scaleby Church of All Saints

In the civil parish of Scaleby.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Cumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY44706314
Latitude 54.95979° Longitude -2.86532°

Scaleby Church of All Saints has been described as a probable Fortified Ecclesiastical site, and also as a Pele Tower although is doubtful that it was such.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Church. Probably early C13 with tower of early C14 and restorations of 1827-28 and 1860-62. Large blocks of dressed red sandstone, probably from the nearby Roman Wall; graduated green slate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 3 storey square west tower, 5 bay nave/chancel. Fortified tower has walls 1.3 metres thick, with slit windows and chamfered plinth, rebuilt above string course before 1790, with battlemented parapet of 1827 and corner pinnacles of 1828: square bell chamber openings, existed before 1790. Nave/chancel has buttressed walls with pointed lancets. Recessed C19 east window, suggests an infilled arch of the demolished chancel. C19 porch and vestry cover original north and south entrances: porch has stone slate roof with coped gable and cross finials: original entrance has round arch with 2 continuous chamfers and hood mould projecting to either side of porch. Interior: C19 vaulted pine ceiling. C19 pews have panels of carved Gothic tracery with lectern and pulpit of similar details. White marble wall plaques to members of the Fawcett and Farrer families of Scaleby Castle and Scaleby Hall, all early C19. 3 early C20 stained glass windows. Bowl and stem font is dated 1707 with inscription MH, NB, WB, CG, CHURCH WARDENS. Free standing inscribed Roman Altar, probably from Birdoswald, has been reused in C14 with carvings on back and side of clerics (heads missing). Interior of round arch east entrance to tower has draw-bar hole. There is a bench mark on the south-west corner of the tower. (Listed Building Report)

The strength of the lower part of the tower suggests that it almost certainly originated as a vicar's pele, but there is now little external evidence of this. (PastScape ref. Field Investigators Comments F1 BHP 13-MAR-72)
Comments

The west tower is separated from the nave by a narrow door with draw bar and is suggested as a 'pele tower' in some sources (Does this mean it was considered as a residence for the priest?). The upper chamber is a bell chamber, the ground floor is lit by loops. Gatehouse considers this unlikely as a residential tower and the fortification there is may be that needed to make the tower a strong rooms for the storage of deeds and monies of the village and church.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 20/02/2016 08:26:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤