The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Shank Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
waikelli; Shanke

In the civil parish of Solport.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Cumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY46957045
Latitude 55.02574° Longitude -2.83135°

Shank Castle has been described as a certain Tower House, and also as a probable Bastle.

There are no visible remains.


Shank Castle was demolished in 1951/2, owing to the dangerous state of the fabric. Dating evidence is derived from Thomas Denton's report to Lord William Howard, stating that it was built by Sir William Hutton when steward to George, Earl of Cumberland, who died in 1605. Hutton lived at Shank for some twenty years, and was an old man in 1622. "Nevertheless, Curwen hazarded the guess that it was a pele-tower of earlier date, adapted by Sir William, and McIntire sought to demonstrate this by alleged differences in the measurements of the walls. But neither the plan nor any structural details suggested that this was so, either to the writer or to Mr. F.C. Vickery, who made the survey before demolition. There is, moreover, no known mention of the castle before the 17th century." It is not known when the castle became a farmhouse and when it was finally deserted for the adjoining smaller house. Lysons, in 1816, describes it as a ruin; it was used as a storehouse until recently. The castle was a rectangular tower, 52 ft. long by 29 ft. 6 in. wide, and about 37 ft. high to the top of the parapet. The longer axis lay NE-SW; there was no trace of an enclosure having been bonded into any of the walls, which were of roughly squared and coursed rubble. The tower had four floors; the first floor contained the principal living rooms and the main entrance door. There were no dates, initials, or armorial devices. The form of the parapet is uncertain as it was largely destroyed, but whatever its form it was not an even series of battlements (PastScape–ref. Rigold 1954)

The demense lands are called the Shank, where are ruins of an old castle, so decayed as not to be worth a particular description. (Hutchinson, 1794)

This was large and late for a pele tower and is better described as a tower house, in the sense of being an integral building rather than a solar block attached to a hall, although it was a gentry status rather than baronial building. A C19 watercolour shows a Scottish style tower house of 4-5 storeys.
Said to be marked 'waikelli' on 1590 map, without a symbol, but this seems to a mistranscribing of Lord Burghley's difficult handwriting of bracke'hill i.e. Brackenhill Tower Is marked as a tower 'Shanke' on 1607 map.
Was demolished by the owner despite the offer of financial assistance for repair in 1952. Had it been repaired its conversion it suitable modern accommodation would have been relatively easy and it would have, undoubtable, been a sought after property.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:31

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact