The Gatehouse website logo
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Warthole Hall

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Wardhall; Warthol; Wardel; Wardell

In the civil parish of Plumbland.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY13103838
Latitude 54.73369° Longitude -3.34952°

Warthole Hall has been described as a Fortified Manor House although is doubtful that it was such.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Whellan in 1860 states that Leonard Dykes pulled the old 'castle' down and built a mansion with an ornamental stone front, (this was evidently in 1813) (Perriam and Robinson). The "low stony banks" recorded by Perriam and Robinson were seen and mapped from air photographs. They lie immediately souh-east of the recorded position of the Hall and are centred at NY13203847. Medieval or Post Medieval incomplete enclosures or field boundaries were seen as earthworks and had approximate maximum dimensions of 60m. More recent photography is showing features to the south of the site of the Hall in greater detail. Two of the enclosures contain ridge and furrow which is 7-8 m in width which is broader than other examples adjacent to the site. Possible hollow ways appear to run north-east to south-west across the area and small enclosures are more clearly visible. (PastScape)

The manor of Warthole belonged formerly to the abbey of Calder: since the Reformation it has been for several generations in the family of Dykes. Warthole Hall, which was their seat, had been for some years past occupied by day-labourers: the greater part of it was pulled down in 1813. (Lysons)

Warthole Hall ... built about 1670, probably by William Thackeray of Torpenhow, who introduced the Classical style into Cumberland, it replaced an earlier semi-fortified house (Anon, 2004)

The 'old' castle pulled down in 1813 seems to have been a Classical house of c. 1670. What was there before this house is uncertain, although probably based on a monastic grange. It description as semi-fortified does not seem to be based on any physical or historic evidence but may be justified on the bases of the status of the house and the Dykes.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤