The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Buckingham Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Church of St Peter and St Paul; Bukingeham

In the civil parish of Buckingham.
In the historic county of Buckinghamshire.
Modern Authority of Buckinghamshire.
1974 county of Buckinghamshire.
Medieval County of Buckinghamshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP69463373
Latitude 51.99795° Longitude -0.98968°

Buckingham Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.


The parish church is built in on what is thought to be a motte. A castle at this site was first mentioned in documentary sources in 1154-64 and was possibly demolished 1208-1215, although a Constable of Buckingham is documented in 1280. Levelled in 1777 for the churchyard which now occupies it. In 1877 excavations at the back of the Wesleyan chapel exposed foundations probably associated with the castle. (PastScape)

On the hill where stands to-day the parish church there formerly stood a Norman castle, the seat of the Giffards, which was erected shortly after the Conquest. (E. S. Armitage, Early Norman Castles, 40.) Comparatively little mention of it has been found, but an early tradition connects the castle with the story of Hereward, who is said to have been taken by the craft of Ivo Taillebois and lodged here for a time. (a 'De Gestis Herwardi' in Gaimar, Chron. (Caxton Soc.), App. 106.) In 1279 under the heading of the castle William de Braose is said to hold 3 carucates of land in demesne with a free fishery. (Hund. R. (Rec. Com.), ii, 343) Giles de Braose, his son, died seised in 1305 of a 'capital messuage called the Castle of Buckingham, worth nothing.' (Chan. Inq. p.m. 33 Edw. I, no. 73.) In 1307 and again in 1312 the name of Buckingham appears in lists of castles to be defended and victualled. (Cal. Close, 1307–13, pp. 50, 402.) In 1453 the site of the castle (where the courts of the manor were still held) was leased to Thomas Smythe, (Mins. Accts. bdle. 759, no. 27.) and the accounts of the manor for 1473 include the cost of various tiles, tile pins, nails, &c., required for the repair of the cook's chamber, the stables, and 'le Garet' within the castle. (Mins. Accts. bdle. 759, no. 27.) Camden speaks of the castle 'seated in the middle of the town upon a great mount, of the very ruins of which scarce anything now remains.' (Camden) Thomas Baskerville, who flourished under Charles II, also makes mention of the ruins. (Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiii, App. ii, 289.) On the erection in 1777–81 of the present parish church on Castle Hill all trace of the castle was finally lost (In 1877, during excavation operations abutting on the Castle Hill, traces of ancient masonry were found which were conjectured at the time to belong to the castle (Harrison, 44).) except the oval keep mound, which still stands, though fragments of foundations are from time to time discovered when digging on the site. (VCH)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:03

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact