The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Carreg Cennen Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Caer Cynan; Karekenyl

In the community of Dyffryn Cennen.
In the historic county of Carmarthenshire.
Modern authority of Carmarthenshire.
Preserved county of Dyfed.

OS Map Grid Reference: SN66801908
Latitude 51.85434° Longitude -3.93558°

Carreg Cennen Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle, and also as a probable Palace.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Carreg Cennen was the centre of the Welsh commote of Is-Cennen before the Anglo-Norman incursions. During the twelfth and thirteenth centuries it was part of the inheritance of the princes of Deheubarth and it is probable that construction of the castle took place between 1287 and 1321. Owned by the Giffard family from 1283, it remained with them until 1299 when John Giffard II was executed for his part in the baronial rising against Hugh Despenser in 1321. Ownership changed hands between various lords, until it was granted in 1340 to Henry lord of Kidwelly (later Duke of Lancaster), and thence it passed to the crown on the accession of Henry IV. In 1403 Carreg Cennen was taken by Owain Glyndwr. The castle was rendered unusable in 1462 by Yorkists after its involvement in the Wars of the Roses. In the nineteenth century Earl Cawdor carried out extensive conservation work. (Coflein)

Ruins of a large castle with Welsh origins but rebuilt after 1283 by John Giffard of Brimpsfield, Glos., and his son John. The elder Giffard held it until 1299, except that the crown took it over 1287-9 during the rising of Rhys ap Maredudd. The Giffards also held Llandovery Castle. John Giffard II was executed for his part in the baronial rising against Edward II's favourite Hugh Despenser in 1321. Held by Despenser until his execution and then by various lords until 1340 when it was granted to Henry later Duke of Lancaster, then lord of Kidwelly, and thence it passed with the Lancaster estates to the crown on the accession of Henry IV. It seems likely that most of the building happened after 1287 and before 1321, but documentary accounts are not available. Certainly in form it follows the innovations introduced by Edward I in his Welsh castle building. Accounts of repairs in 1369 suggest that it was then very neglected, as were many other Welsh castles in the C14. Carreg Cennen was the centre of the Welsh commote of Is-Cennen before the Anglo-Norman incursions, and Roman coins have been found. In the C12 and C13 the site was part of the inheritance of the princes of Deheubarth: the Lord Rhys and Rhys Fychan. The first written record in 1248 says that Rhys Fychan had obtained the castle back from the English, he was driven out in 1257 by his uncle Maredudd ap Rhys, and he in turn lost it to Edward I in 1277. It was captured by the forces of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd in 1282, and lost again 1283. The castle was taken by Owain Glyndwr in the uprising of 1403 and the walls were said to have been `completely destroyed'. The castle was involved in the Wars of the Roses on the Lancastrian side and therefore rendered unusable by the Yorkists in 1462. Earl Cawdor (1817-98) undertook extensive conservation works in the C19, restoring several of the wall walks and repairing many of the openings.
Castle, rubble stone with some ashlar dressings. Square inner ward with N gatehouse, round NW tower, rounded NE tower and chapel tower in centre of E side. The S and W sides rise sheer from the cliff. Two-storey hall range against the E wall. This part was built first, then shortly after followed the Barbican in front of the gatehouse and flight of steps up from the E, and shortly after that the Outer Ward extending out to the N and E. The Barbican approach is by a series of steps with drawbridges to the square tower with drawbridge over the ditch to the gatehouse. This was double-towered with spurred bases to half-octagonal towers and of 3 storeys. The NW tower had an upper floor possibly only accessible from a wall-gallery. The NE tower was vaulted at ground floor. E side had main rooms, storage in ground floor, kitchen, hall and solar above. From the hall a mural stair led up to the chapel at second floor level, within the square E tower. Curtain walls to W and S, that to W badly ruined, the S preseved to full height. Curved SW corner, not a proper tower. Vaulted passage from SE corner to cave below E outer ward. The Outer Ward defences are much reduced, a lime-kiln survives in the E part. (Listed Building Report)

Carreg Cennen Castle. Carreg Cennen was, during the historic period, the administrative centre and llys of Iscennen commote, giving its name to Maenor Llys within which it lay; its maerdref lay in Area 198 now represented by the farm-names Ferdre Fawr and Fach (Rees 1924, 200). The llys had been established by at least the 13th century and appears to have been fortified prior to the construction of the present castle later in that century, possibly under the Prince of Deheubarth Rhys ap Gruffydd who built castles at Dinefwr (Area 195) and Cardigan in the late 12th century. Along with Cantref Bychan, Carreg Cennen fell to his son Rhys Gryg but was separated from the rest of Iscennen in 1233 when Rhys Mechyll succeeded. It was briefly captured by the English in 1248, was the scene of several changes of hands in the 1250s and finally, in 1277, surrendered to the English. The castle, along with Iscennen, was acquired by John Giffard in 1283, and in 1340 it became a member of the Duchy of Lancaster (Rees 1953, xv-xvi). The castle was rebuilt as a substantial masonry construction, the present Inner Ward being constructed in the late 13th century and the Outer Ward being added in the early 14th century. The castle was captured and damaged during the Glyndwr rebellion, but was finally destroyed during the Wars of the Roses in 1461. The later history of the castle is obscure until the late 18th century when its striking site came to the notice of Romantic painters and poets. It was acquired by the State in 1932 on whose behalf it is now managed by Cadw. (Dyfed Archaeological Trust Historic Landscapes ref. Lewis 1990)

Magnificently set castle, high on a limestone precipice. The ancient centre and stronghold of the commote of Is-Cennen. The earliest documentary reference for a castle on the site dates from 1248 and the existing castle belongs to the late C13/early C14, though there was a castle here long before this. C19 restorations. Constructed of rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Square inner bailey, with 3-storey gatehouse to N; rounded towers to the NW and NE. 2-storey hall range against E wall. Curtain wall to S survives at full height, that to the W is badly damaged. A vaulted passage runs from the SE corner to a cave below E outer ward. Outer ward has reduced defences; surviving limekiln to E.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling   Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated 02/07/2017 08:22:45