The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Dinefwr Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Dynevor; Gueithtinevur; Dinefawr; Old Dynefwr; Dinevor; Dinewor

In the community of Llandeilo.
In the historic county of Carmarthenshire.
Modern authority of Carmarthenshire.
Preserved county of Dyfed.

OS Map Grid Reference: SN61152173
Latitude 51.87683° Longitude -4.01842°

Dinefwr Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Dinefwr Castle is a ruined medieval castle in a dramatic and Romantic situation upon a high wooded ridge above the meandering Tywi. The castle is thought to have been founded in the later twelfth century by Rhys ap Gruffudd, the Lord Rhys, and became known as the traditional capital of Dyfed. The visible remains date from the thirteenth and earlier fourteenth century. It was still maintained in the earlier fifteenth century, but may have been replaced by Newton House (NPRN 17603), a little way to the north, as early as the later part of the century. By the later seventeenth century it had become a Picturesque attraction in Dinefwr Park (NPRN 266170) and the top of the great tower was taken down and replaced by a summerhouse. The castle ruins have now been consolidated for public view.
The castle consists of two enclosures defined by deep rock-hewn ditches cutting across the summit of the ridge. The inner enclosure has a high curtain wall and is approached by a lower walled barbican. The great round tower, some 12m across, is now a two storey stump crowned by the remains of the seventeenth century summerhouse. There are ruins of fine towered lodgings along the north-east curtain and there is a smaller round tower at the northern angle.
Two boroughs were associated with the castle. The upper town, thought to have been sited on the castle ridge, was first recorded in 1281. The lower town, Newton or Drenewydd, where Newton House now stands, is first mentioned in 1297. (Coflein–Rees & Caple CADW Guide to Dinefwr Castle & Dryslwyn Castle, revised edition (2007))

Set high on a rocky, wooded ridge above Afon Tywi with exceptional, picturesque views to the castle from S over the river and from the landscaped park to N. Extensive remains of a medieval castle first built by the Welsh princes in C13; partly remodelled by King Edward I with a gatehouse added on S and a rectanuglar tower on N. Late C15 additions by Sir Rhys ap Thomas. The masonry remains include an angular curtain wall, incorporating a circular tower to NW and a large round tower at SE angle, now surmounted by a C17(?)/C18 gazebo. Later additions include a rectangular hall facing N. Old Dynevor Castle became a major feature in the C18 landscaped park to Newton House (now Plas Dinefwr) situated approximately one kilometre to N. (Listed Building Report)

A motte and bailey castle may have been built prior to the construction of the stone castle of Dinefwr. (Dyfed Archaeological Trust HER 881)
A castle is first mentioned at Dinefwr in 1151 when it is recorded as having been built by two brothers Maredudd and Rhys ap Gruffydd of the royal line of Deheubarth. Whether this refers to a wooden castle on a motte, PRN 881, or a stone castle is still not clear although the stone keep as we see it now may date from a rebuilding after Llywelyn forced Rhys Grug to dismantle the castle in the early 13th century. From 1276 onwards, the castle was largely kept in English hands. During the 13th and 14th centuries, the castle underwent several phases of repair. It resisted a siege by the forces of Owain Glyndwr in 1403. In Tudor times, it was modified by Sir Rhys ap Thomas, but he soon abandoned the castle in favour of a new mansion at Newton House. During the late 18th to early 19th century, the castle was deliberately converted in to a romantic ruin and a summerhouse was built on top of the keep, providing splendid views over the Dynevor estate lands. (Dyfed Archaeological Trust HER 882)

This is not the same as Dinweiler mentioned several times in the chronicles.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling   Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated 20/04/2017 04:09:10