The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Llandeilo Abercywyn

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Pilgrims Rest

In the community of Llangynog.
In the historic county of Carmarthenshire.
Modern authority of Carmarthenshire.
Preserved county of Dyfed.

OS Map Grid Reference: SN31031307
Latitude 51.79097° Longitude -4.45162°

Llandeilo Abercywyn has been described as a probable Pele Tower.

There are uncertain remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Situated on the N side of the Afon Taf estuary, at the end of a 1.2 km track off a minor road some 2.8km W of the centre of Llanybri.
Remnant of Llandeilo Abercywyn, a late medieval first-floor hall house, used as an outbuilding to Llandeilo Abercywyn farm and converted to a house in C20. House was owned in late medieval times by the Dwnn family of Kidwelly. Henry Dwnn was killed at the battle of Banbury 1469. His son in law, Trahaiarn ap Morgan of Muddlescwm is said to have rebuilt the house at Llandeilo Abercywyn. He died before 1529. Owen Morgan, his second son inherited, died before 1570. About 1600 passed to Mansel estate, sold in 1660 to R. Dawkins of Kilvrough, Glam. Farm was tenanted from C17. Dawkins heiress married the Marquis de Choiseul 1791, 1793 sold to Gabriel Powell of Swansea, 1794 to P. Prothero of Bristol, leased, including mansion house, to tenant Thomas Waters 1798,. sold to Dr John Jones of Bronwydd Cards 1806, and estate passed to the Lloyds of Bronwydd. The old house is said to have had an upper storey, removed in 1892-3 and there were three undercrofts, the vaulting now gone from one of them. The building was used as an outhouse, with access to the upper floor from an external stair. Converted to a house c1987.
Basement in three parallel spaces all originally with low vaults, removed in N room. N room has C20 stairs to first floor and long fireplace on N wall, infilled. Door at E end of S wall into middle room. Middle room has a span of some 5m, W window is small and probably medieval in splayed recess. Central doorway through into S room, with rebate for closing on S side. S room has slate dairy troughs. In E wall is narrow stone mural stair up to first floor with rough pointed arch at head, above stairs are underside of a further stair presumably blocked when upper storey was removed. First floor is all renewed in later C20 and subdivided, it was a grain loft and evidence for the first floor hall has gone.
House, unpainted render to upper floor over rubble stone basement. Slate close-eaved roof with tiny C20 end stacks. W front has flight of ten C20 stone steps up to centre C20 door with large 6-pane C20 sash each side, and a small 4-pane sash further left, all openings with C20 hoodmoulds. Basement left has door and 4-pane window in glazed C20 lean-to. Basement right has original small Bath stone square light with side holes for bars, partly under outside stairs. Four-pane C20 sash to right. End walls have two 6-pane sashes above. 4-pane window below to S end only. Rear has slight projection to left for mural stair with small square stair light. Two C20 6-pane windows first floor centre and right, over three 4-pane windows. First floor extreme left has fine inserted late medieval traceried window head of 2 cusped heads to lights and a wheel of 3 mouchettes above, 2 mouchettes in spandrels.
(Listed Building Report)

Dyfed Archaeological Trust HER report as a Medieval Tower House. Pilgrims Rest is a C16 manor house with a vaulted undercroft. The removal of an upper floor in 1892-3 has changed the form of the house. Not known if this site had defensive features but this area was susceptible to pirates and may well have been fortified, as might any predecessor building.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated before 1 February 2016