GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Brecon Town Walls

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Aberhonddu

In the community of Brecon.
In the historic county of Brecknockshire.
Modern authority of Powys.
Preserved county of Powys.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO04502838
Latitude 51.94751° Longitude -3.39329°

Brecon Town Walls has been described as a certain Urban Defence.

There are masonry footings remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Traces remain of medieval wall on a strong bank. Area was oval, on the far side of a small river from the castle. Section from Lower Watergate (Nprn305721) SO04422841 to c.SO04512838, along Captain's Walk has remains of bank preserved in gardens to the N and battered medieval wall base incorporated in current boundary walls. Tower remains at SO04672847 with remains of bank extending 20m NNE. Section of wall at SO04622859 marked "Town Wall" on OS Landline is thought to be modern. (Coflein)

Near river, to rear of No.3 Buckingham Place, Glamorgan Street; best seen from W end of Captain's Walk.
In Speed's Plan of Brecknock of 1610 and Meredith Jones's Plan of 1744 five towers are shown between the Bridge Gate and Watton Gate; this is presumably the second tower to the south of Bridge Gate and is situated close to the River Usk. Theophilus Jones (1805/1809) identified this tower as "Porth y dwr issa", the "lower watergate" one of the ten "towers or turrets" of the town defences of Brecon "at the bottom of Mr Maybery's garden" and remarks that one of the town gates was underneath the tower. The tower probably dates to the C13 or C14. Recent research suggests that the gateway was inserted through an earlier structure.
Ruined medieval tower of stone. Rectangular in plan, but very overgrown with vegetation in 2005. To each side of central opening, beginnings of springing of arch are visible. (Listed Building Report)
Comments

In 1404 the bailiff of Brecon was authorised to spend 100 marks on fortifying the gates, walls and ditches of the town, and four years later he was given an annuity as a reward for his 'great labour and perils' during the rebellion. (HKW–ref. R. Somerville, History of the Duchy of Lancaster i (1953), p. 171 n.). Apart from this relatively small amount of money there is no record for royal support for the building of the town walls which certainly date from before the early C15 and are probably mid C13. They were probably paid for by the towns people and the lords of Brecon Castle (probably Humphrey de Bohun) and constituted part of a major building programme with considerable works also done at the castle.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing   Historic Wales
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated on Sunday, November 23, 2014


¤¤¤¤¤