The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Rhuddlan Town Defences

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the community of Rhuddlan.
In the historic county of Flintshire.
Modern authority of Denbighshire.
Preserved county of Clwyd.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ02267829
Latitude 53.29112° Longitude -3.46641°

Rhuddlan Town Defences has been described as a certain Urban Defence.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


The defences of the Saxon burgh of Rhuddlan. The town was protected on 3 sides by a bank and ditch with a timber palisade. On the 4th side, the river and the steep cliff provided natural defence. The defence was constructed in 1281 and by 1282, there were barriers and entrances to the town which could be locked at night (Taylor, A J, 1955b). The defences survive today as a broad ditch with an outer bank on the NE corner of the town. Excavation showed that the defences were only completed on the north side. They consisted of a broad, flat-bottomed ditch between 2 low banks. The ditch may originally have been water-filled (Miles, H, 1973). (Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust HER)

Rhuddlan Town Ditch.
Earthworks of a medieval defensive circuit thought to outline the prospective site of a Cathedral city south of the castle of 1277 (NPRN 92914) that was superceded by the more modest borough ramparts to the north (NPRN 300415). The Town Ditch takes in an area of some 30ha compared to the roughly 6.5ha walled borough.
The circuit consisted of two broad ramparts either side of a ditch, up to 20m wide and 2.5m deep. The surving earthworks run for 570m north-south and then south-west for 300m before meeting the Clwyd.
The Town Ditch can be compared to other earthwork circuits of a similar date at Flint borough (NPRN 33160) as well as the Rhuddlan borough ramparts.
An earlier view associated the Town Ditch with a Saxon burg or fortified town.
The earthworks enclose the site ofthe Friary (NPRN157155) as well as the site of the Norman borough (NPRN 303586) below the Twt Hill castle earthworks (NPRN 157156).
Source: Quinnell & Blockley 'Excavations at Rhuddlan' CBA Research Report 95 (1994), 212-3 & 219-20. (Coflein 306672)

Rhuddlan Edwardian Town Defences
The field centred at SJ 0223 7828 is in use as a paddock for both the grazing of horses, and for horse jumping, but neither activity appears to have damaged the remains. The use of the footpath by the public has worn a slight ledge along the crest of the inner ditch bank. A foul-water manhole in the centre of the ditch indicates that a sewer has been laid across the site, but there is no obvious disturbance to show its route or direction. There is some evidence of a trench having been dug across the S ditch bank, NW from the N corner of the Telephone Exchange compound, at SJ 0226 7827. The outer slope at the NE end is becoming less discernable, probably due to filling against the garden walls to the NW.
The portion of the earthwork SE of the public footpath and the hedge/fence on its SE side, is now a grassed extension of a Children's Play Area. Regular mowing has softened the profile considerably and the crests and toes of the banks are now difficult to define with any precision. A filled ditch, of recent origin, runs down the centre of the ancient one, whilst at about 11.0m and 15.0m SE of the NW boundary and parallel to it, the earthworks are crossed by two ridges, probably filled trenches of recent date.
AM action: The NW part of the earthwork has been retained unaltered, but that part lying SE of the hedge/fence has been resurveyed, and the depiction ammended accordingly.
The town was defended on three sides (on the N side of the river) by a bank and ditch of which only the NW corner now substantially survives.
Overall the bank and ditch system is 36m wide. The ditch is up to 1.7m deep, the outer bank 2m high (from the bottom of the ditch) and 0.6m high on its outer side. (Coflein 300415)

Of those defences previously thought to be the remains of C10 burgh defences, a more recent interpretation compares this work with the known Edwardian late C13 earthwork circuits at Rhuddlan and Flint. It is suggested that the remains are of a circuit constructed in the course of Edward I's initial campaign of conquest in 1277. The town was planned as a major centre for North Wales (it was even intended to move the Cathedral from St Alaphs to Rhuddlan) and the defences were laid out accordingly, but these plans were soon put aside, the earthen defences were never replaced in stone - the wooden palisade was removed and sent to be used a Caernarfon in 1283. The town had some small seaborne trade but was only ever of local importance.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.

This record last updated 28/06/2017 18:13:03