The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Bovehill Castle, Landimore

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Cheriton; Landymore; Landimor

In the community of Llangennith, Llanmadoc and Cheriton.
In the historic county of Glamorgan.
Modern authority of Swansea.
Preserved county of West Glamorgan.

OS Map Grid Reference: SS46439323
Latitude 51.61697° Longitude -4.21963°

Bovehill Castle, Landimore has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


Landimor Castle (Bovehill Castle) was built in the late-15th century by Sir Hugh Johnys within the manor granted to him in the ancient but defunct Gower fee of Landimor. Mansion, thought to have been constructed after 1451, neglected from 1500 & derelict by 1666. Ruinous remains of mansion, 57m N-S by 28m, resting on steep slopes to the E; a relatively substantial wall, with at least one turret at its N angle, defines a court on the W side of the mansion, the whole being 57m E-W by 50m. There is a tradition of water being piped into the castle from Leaden Pipe Well, 1km to the SW (RCAHMW 2000, SH1 444-8) OS County series (1879) depicts a 29m stretch of NE-SW wall, c.45m NW of the castle, with features that appear to represent the NW end of a NW-SE range, 7.3m across; possibly anciliary buildings associated with the mansion. (Coflein)

A ruined 15th or 16th century stone built fortified manor house, the eastern wall of which forms the boundary of National Trust property. The house itself is set at the top of a steep slope overlooking Landimore and the marsh. The surviving walls are approximately 5m high and 1m thick. The surviving masonry forms part of a large rectangular enclosure with the remains of various buildings ranged against the inner walls. A great wall crosses the enclosure dividing it into two. The site had a lofty central hall with storeyed rooms at either end. Flanking turrets on the Southeast corner contained guarderobes. A renovated and occupied 19th century cottage (GGAT SMR no. 01727w) currently occupies the site of the gatehouse at the northern end. The foundations of an outer enclosure with corner turrets can apparently be traced in the field to the west. The boundary wall is built of mortared dressed stone with a rubble core and is partly covered in ivy and hidden by trees, much of the facing stone has been removed and is held together in places by the ivy. The interior of the house lies outside Trust property and was not examined. The site is first mentioned in the possession of Llewellyn ap Iorwerth, Prince of North Wales, 1195-1240, who gave it to a chieftain named Morgan Gam. The actual house appears to have been built by Sir Hugh Johnnys, granted the land in 1451, who rebuilt and enlarged the site in the 15th century. Sir Hugh also supposedly fed the house with water brought in via a lead pipe from a spring on Ryer's Down (NT89278), traces of which could still be seen by Davies in the late 19th century. (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust HER)

Sir Hugh Jonys, who was knighted at Jerusalem in 1440, became the Knight Marshall of England. He was granted the manor by John, Duke of Norfolk, Lord of Gower, is said to have had a fortified manor house here, but the thinly walled ruined domestic ranges set on a shelf above the Landimore marshes are of the time of Sir Rhys ap Thomas or a still later owner. The ruins, much overgrown and difficult to find are located on what today is called "Bovehill Farm." (

King lists as vanished castle and writes mentioned 1396, dismissing existing ruins as completely non-military in nature.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.

This record last updated 03/07/2016 22:59