The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Barons Court, Cogan Pill

In the community of Llandough.
In the historic county of Glamorgan.
Modern authority of Vale of Glamorgan.
Preserved county of South Glamorgan.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST17427282
Latitude 51.44834° Longitude -3.18964°

Barons Court, Cogan Pill has been described as a probable Uncertain.

There are uncertain remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Formerly known as Cogan Pill. Late C15 or early C16 hall house. Mentioned in the will of Matthew Craddock of Swansea in 1531, owner recorded shortly after as Sir George Herbert. His younger son William, who was sherriff in 1552 and 1567 reputedly enlarged the house. It remained in the Herbert family, who also held St Fagans Castle, for some generations, later becoming a farmhouse. Restored and remodelled c 1850 by H S Corbett, relative and agent of the Marquess of Bute, as a house for himself. Herbert Arms above the front porch. Probably mid C16 rear wing. Mid C19 parallel W wing.
Porch leads to inner pointed-arched chamfered and stopped doorway of former cross passage. To right a remodelled doorway with further arched opening beside leads into the lofty hall which has an arch-braced roof of 6 trusses, the W three of which are reputedly original, with 4 rows of ribbed purlins and C19 crested wallplate. Walls are faced with C19 polychrome brickwork, patterns in header shapes; large painted stone fireplace with chamfered flat arch, stone mantel-shelf and coloured tiles; to E is a large moulded stone arch of 3 orders reputedly made in C19 of medieval stonework from St John's church Cardiff, leading to a window recess; hall windows have wide embrasures. In the former service wing, the rear wall has the remains of a spiral stone staircase and 2 chamfered 4-centred arched doorways. To rear is a C19 cambered-arched fireplace with voussoirs and iron lintel and to side a further chamfered pointed-arched doorway. Now used as a public house and restaurant with some inserted 2-storey partitions; some Report Page 1/2 areas of old fabric unrendered.
Former Manor House, a late medieval hall house, now a public house. Built mostly of coursed rubble; porch and left frontage are rendered. Welsh slate roofs, narrow stone ridge and end stacks with tall decorative terracotta pots. Windows are mullioned with four-centred lights and square hoodmoulds, many of C19 and painted. 2 storeys. Main range has two-storeyed gabled porch off centre with 2-light first floor window, mid C16 Herbert coat of arms below and 4-centred arched ground floor doorway. Hall to right (E) has a 4-light window and low cambered-arched now unused doorway. E gable end wall has a wide buttress with offset and bands with similar first floor window. To left (W) of porch and with a separate roof from hall is the former service range with two 2-light windows to first floor, also on gable end, and deep ground floor single storey C19 bay with castellated parapet and 4-light window. Main W elevation is the stepped back C19 gabled wing with three 2-light windows to first floor; gabled porch with pointed-arched doorway flanked by segmental-arched multipane windows; small lean-to to right. To rear are the two 2-storeyed gables of the parallel cross wings, the rear service wing and C19 hall wing; attached to left (E) is a large single storey wing with embattled parapet and multiple-light windows including a canted bay, an extension of the early hall, which itself has a projecting shallow gabled wing with stack for the lateral fireplace and an adjacent 4-light window in an embattled rectangular bay. (Listed Building Report)

Cogan Pill, the ancient seat of the Herberts, a branch of the family of that name near Swansea, has been converted into a farmhouse, the grand hall being appropriated as a barn: the Herberts of this county were ancestors of the Earls of Pembroke and of Warwick. (Lewis 1849)

A fine and rare survival of a late medieval hall house but not fortified. David King records this as a possible castle site. Did he think there was an earlier house here with some defensive elements? The location is much altered by roads and the railway but there is nothing to exclude the possibility of an earlier fortified site here.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated before 1 February 2016