The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Fonmon Castle

In the community of Rhoose.
In the historic county of Glamorgan.
Modern authority of Vale of Glamorgan.
Preserved county of South Glamorgan.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST04746809
Latitude 51.40339° Longitude -3.37135°

Fonmon Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


A mansion, incorporating substantial elements of a medieval masonry castle, including a late C12 keep and work of C13-C14. The castle was much added to in C16, with a great refurbishment, c.1760, and minor modern additions and alterations. (source: RCAHMW 2000, 147-165) J.Wiles 27.01.03 (Coflein)

It is speculated that a timber castle was built on this site soon after the Norman Conquest of South Wales, the first stone building added in about 1200. This would have adjoined or been within the timber enclosure, but there is little physical evidence, apart from the changes in level in the gardens and outworks and the 'Watchtower'. The first surviving stone build is well away from the edge of the ravine, and is the section on the left of the entrance court, running east-west and containing the Drawing Room in what was the first floor hall of the castle. This section has the thickest walls of the present building, but since it is small, approx. 8m x 13m, it is possibly only a part of what was in use until more of the stone castle was built. This was the east curtain which extended the existing range to the edge of the precipice and then turned the south-east corner to include the south range. The rooms within the east curtain, now the Stairhall, appear to have been created by Colonel Jones in the 1660s, with both the west wall and the roof dating from then, but it would probably have had a building against it previously. The thickest section of these walls are along the ravine edge where attack would be least likely, so the more vulnerable south and west approaches to the castle must have been defended in some further way not now apparent. This second phase of stonework, with both square and rounded towers, must be from fairly early in the C13, beforr the more vulnerable square corner tower fell from favour. It was probably built by the St. John family, who were the owners later in the Middle Ages and until 1656. The open quadrangular form of the C13 castle with apartments set against a curtain wall would strongly suggest that it was intended to be a complete quadrangle, but this appears never to have happened. The next major addition seems to be a short, north wing built in the C16 over a characteristic barrel-vaulted semi-basement. The castle was undamaged in the Civil War, the St. John family being Parliamentarians, but they later fell on bad times financially and in 1656 sold their Glamorgan estate to Colonel Philip Jones whose successors still own it today. The Colonel appears to have been responsible for the addition of the double depth wing on the north side of the castle and the rooms of the east range, but some of the internal decoration may date from after his death in 1674 and be attributable to Oliver Jones 1678-85. The next major addition, representing its present internal character, was the work of Robert Jones III. He married Jane Seys of Boverton in 1762 and began the castle improvements by employing Thomas Paty of Bristol. This firm had done similar makeovers to houses such as the C16 Stoke Park north of Bristol in 1760-4, and they supplied the overall battlements and render to enhance the castle look while at the same time putting in a regular display of sash windows to improve the light, and remodelled the interior for comfort and elegance. This involved breaking through walls to increase the size of rooms, thus forming the Stairhall and the Drawing Room, and making further improvements to the service end following what had already been achieved in the late C17. The C19 saw the estate in decline and little was done to the castle except for the addition of the entrance porch and the extension to the south wing between 1840 and 1878; the extension appears to be shown on the Tithe Map of 1841. There is a possibility that the C19 alterations may have been more considerable, with the mid C18 pastiche on the staircase and in the Dining Room dating to this time for example, but this is uncertain. The castle passed by marriage to Sir Seymour Boothby in 1917 and his grandson still lives there. (Source; Cadw listing database) S Fielding RCAHMW 04/12/2006 (Coflein)

Fonmon Castle is in good condition. The walls are castellated, but the surface have been roughcast. There is no trace of any earthworks around the castle. The castle is a substantial mansion situated on the western lip of a steep ravine below the gardens and castle in which the Fonmon Brook runs northwards to join the Kenson river. Castellation, rendering and Georgian sash windows give the castle a uniform appearance, but they mask several building phases from the medieval period onwards. It is a 2 and 3-storeyed building orientated N-S, with a small entrance court, open to the west, at the south end of the west side. The earliest part of the building is a rectangular 12th century keep which lies along the north side of the court, orientated E-W. (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust HER)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated before 1 February 2016