The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Llandough Castle, Llanfair

In the community of Llanfair.
In the historic county of Glamorgan.
Modern authority of Vale of Glamorgan.
Preserved county of South Glamorgan.

OS Map Grid Reference: SS99497298
Latitude 51.44703° Longitude -3.44785°

Llandough Castle, Llanfair has been described as a certain Tower House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


A much rebuilt C14 fortified manor. Remains of a roughly square walled enclosure, c.24m square, with a gatehouse at the S angle and a strong tower on the W, with later additions and alterations. The tower was incorporated into a new house in 1803. (Coflein)

Located to the NW of St Dochdwy parish church, Llandough. Set back from the road frontage behind high boundary walls. History: Origins as a C16 gentry house with vestiges of a C15 tower house and hall block on SW end. Llandough castle formed part of the Herbert estate during the C15. Doctor Edward Carne, younger son of Nash purchased the Llandough and St Mary Church estate in 1536. In 1677 the estate became absorbed into the Penrice and Margam estate when Sir Edward Mansel married the youngest Carne daughter. Throughout the C18 the estate was leased to a number of local families including Cottrell in 1706 and Edmondes in 1775 with the property falling into progressive disrepair throughout the century. In 1803 John Price rented the property and undertook significant alterations including extensions at ground and first floor levels and the creation of a new E wing. In 1869 Francis Edmonde Stacey, barrister and sheriff added crenellated bays to the W corner of the house. In 1929 the estate was sold by the Mansel Talbot family. Llandough Castle continues to be a private residence. Exterior: The house known as Llandough Castle, and incorporating part of the former castle includes a C15 SW castle turret and C15 walling to adjacent SW wing, extended probably in the late C16 and C17 and now incorporating C18 features. NW wing with bowed NW end at the turn of the C19: probably early to mid C19 NE wing, partly demolished, and of which only one bay remains at each end now known as Llandough castle flats. The turret was connected to the gatehouse (separately listed) by a stone wall, the footings of which still remain. NE wall of former courtyard, is separately listed. Stone walls. Slate roof. SE elevation with C15 turret, possibly in part refenestrated in C16: two-light flat-headed window to third floor. Main part of SE elevation of three storeys and attic, three bays width. Two French casements with internal shutters on ground floor: square-headed late C16 to early C17 stopped and chamfered doorway to right hand. Three sash windows each three panes wide and with stone voussoirs on first and second floors. Three gabled dormers each with two-light window with small panes. Large C19 conservatory against ground floor, with three bay roof with two end bays. SW elevation: at S end, C15 turret (other elevation) with single light, narrow-chamfered opening on both ground and first floor, the third floor opening above corbel table. Beyond this SW gable and of S wing with slate cladding; sash window, three panes wide on ground floor, again with internal shutters. Slate hanging continues to N, facing part of late C18 to early C19 three storey wing with dentil cornice; firstly, a sash window three panes wide on both ground and first floors: secondly, a two-light rectangular bay window with sash-lights dated 1881, and with contemporary internal shutter. NW elevation with bowed front to three storey wing at SW end; three fixed windows on ground floor; three taller later C19 sash windows on first floor and three shorter sash windows each three panes wide to second floor; dentil cornice to parapet with peaked slate roof behind. Two bays remain of former six bay, two storey wing to NE one at each end. SW bay with round-headed doorway with fanlight with intersecting tracery and half-glazed panelled door: stone porch in front with square-headed doorway. Interior: SW ground floor room with probably early C18 bolection moulded fireplace in NW wall; probably contemporary shouldered architrave to doorway in NE wall. Dado panelling; plaster ceiling divided by plaster beams into three panels; panelled reveals to doorway between SW and NW rooms. Six panelled doors and doorcases. NW ground floor room with stone fireplace with columns in NE wall (C20 insertion). Cellar with wine shelves in basement; bowed N end with vaulted ceiling. Round headed doorway with intersecting tracery and six panelled door into entrance hall from SE room. Later C20 staircase to attic (former staircase was in partly demolished wing). Second floor room of bowed three-storey wing with barrel vaulted ceiling above a cornice, previously the music room. large mahogany fireplace with pairs of flanking columns. (Listed Building Report)

Hogg and King write vanished castle. Mentioned by Leland as a ruin. Howe Mill Enclosure, not recorded by King, may be early medieval precursor.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling   Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated 04/07/2016 06:34:45