GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Penllyn Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Penlline; Penllin; Penline

In the community of Penllyn.
In the historic county of Glamorgan.
Modern authority of Vale of Glamorgan.
Preserved county of South Glamorgan.

OS Map Grid Reference: SS97897609
Latitude 51.47436° Longitude -3.47154°

Penllyn Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Remains of an 11th/12th century medieval castle built on a commanding position overlooking the Thaw and Ewenny valleys. The extant keep which is rectangular, is of Norman date, is possibly one of the earliest of its type in Wales. Original material also survives in the present garden wall, and stable-block. The castle was rebuilt at least once, following an attack by Glyndwr, but was described by Leland in 1652 as a ruin with 'adjoining it or in place of it, a fair house'. In 18th century illustrations the house, partly obscured by the remains of the castle, appears ruinous but with 16th century details. This was replaced by the existing late-18th century house built by Miss Gwinnett between 1780-1790. There is now no trace of the original bailey. (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust HER)

Late C18 house, possibly very close to 1800 (said to have been built by Miss Emlia Gwinett (or Gwynette) between 1789 and 1804), attached to and perhaps also embodying remains of the medieval Penllyn castle, but also with work of the Tudor period, vide the base of the water-tower. The Regency house was further altered in the Victorian period, vide the chimney stacks, but a far more elaborate scheme for rebuilding signed by one of the Wyatts, the drawings for which survive in the house, was not built. The tithe map of 1839 shows it as a simple square block. It was described in 1852 (Lewis) as a ruined castle with 'adjoining it or in place of it, a fair house'. (Listed Building Report)

Probably built by Robert Norris, Earl Robert of Gloucester's sheriff. Lord of Penllyn by 1135, he seems to have erected one of the first Norman keeps in Glamorgan. It was an oblong tower, like contemporary Ogmore. The two surviving walls stand on the edge of a low cliff above the River Thaw. Near the base are six courses of 'herringbone' masonry, a feature of early Norman work in which the stones are set in alternate diagonal layers. Above are traces of a blocked first-floor entrance. The keep now forms one corner of a derelict building. This began as a Tudor manor house of the Turbeville family, but was converted to a stable when the adjacent mansion replaced in in the 1790s. (Pettifer)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing   Historic Wales
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated on Saturday, December 6, 2014


¤¤¤¤¤