The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

St Fagans Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Castell Sain Ffagan

In the community of St Fagans.
In the historic county of Glamorgan.
Modern authority of Cardiff.
Preserved county of South Glamorgan.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST12007714
Latitude 51.48639° Longitude -3.26877°

St Fagans Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


The remains of the medieval castle at St Fagans include the southern part of a stone curtain wall, thought to have originally encompassed a sub-circular, or oval enclosure, c.45-50m in diameter. The enclosure is currently overlain by an Elizabethan mansion (Nprn 19909), with part of the surviving curtain serving to define its forecourt. The medieval work is thought to be a thirteenth century remodelling of an earlier ringwork. The medieval castle was derelict by around 1530. (Coflein)

In the centre of St Fagans village opposite the Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin.
It seems likely that the main structure of the house was built by John Gibbon in c1580-86. The shell was certainly there in 1596 when it belonged to the Herberts, but it does not appear to have been fitted out with panelling etc. until after it was purchased by the Lewises in 1616, and there are a number of dated items in the house associated with this period. It remained their property until 1730 when the 3rd Earl of Plymouth married Elizabeth Lewis. From 1850s onwards, from the time that the Honourable Robert Henry and Lady Harriet Windsor Clive came to live in the Castle, various structural additions were made on the west side between the medieval castle wall and the C16 portion, mostly in 1868-9. These comprised the two-storey stone wing with gables and circular turret which contained the servants' hall and, to the south, the laundry and steward's room; all these units are shown on a plan by W P James, Cardiff architect, dateable to about that time. The present exhibition and dining room were added in the 1890s. From the 1880s onward the house was largely used as a summer residence by the Plymouths, whose main home was at Hewell Grange in Worcestershire. In 1946 St. Fagans Castle was given to the National Museum of Wales in response to their appeal for a home for a new Welsh Folk Museum. The gardens were opened in 1947 and the house on 1st July 1948. It was redecorated at that time, reroofed in 1982 and refurbished in 1988 and again in 2002. St. Fagans Castle is now shown as a Welsh aristocratic house, as part of the Museum of Welsh Life, an out-station of the National Museum of Wales.
Within the plan of the house still retains much of the probable Elizabethan original but with changes developed through to those of the 1860s. The entry goes into a cross passage with the Hall and family rooms on the right and the service rooms on the left. As in most houses of this type the main reception rooms and Great Chamber are on the first floor reached by the main staircase in the north-west corner. There are old stone doorways at the entrances to pantry, kitchen and back stairs; the kitchen retains old fireplaces and a stone flagged floor; in the hall there is a finely carved over-mantel with the arms of the Windsor family, this dates it to post 1736. The withdrawing room retains an oak floor and the coat-of-arms of Lewis of St Fagans Castle on the overmantel. Fine C19 staircase leading to first floor. The Long Gallery originally ran along the rear of the house on the first floor giving access to the rooms. One bedroom has a carved frieze of early C17 date, an over-mantel dated 1635 and oak panelling painted at a later date. Another bedroom has painted fielded panelling of early C18 date and a finely carved frieze of about 1620; in the parlour there is a carved frieze inscribed EBL/1624 and an iron fireback inscribed EL/1620 and bearing the Lewis arms. The rooms are furnished appropriately by the Museum to represent life in a Welsh aristocratic house. Some of the furniture is indigeneous, while many pieces have come from other houses throughout Wales.
The walls are faced externally with whitewashed roughcast cladding over rubble stone and have an ashlar plinth, stringcourses and characteristic stone-mullioned windows. The roof is Welsh slate with groups of red brick stacks set diagonally. These were an addition of the 1860s but are very much in character. The house is a three-storey gabled building with the characteristic E-plan and symmetrical elevation typical of the Elizabethan period. East (entrance) elevation of seven bays; the two end bays project forward, each with a 3-light attic window and a mullion-and-transom 4-light window on both first and ground floors. The central range has three gables to the attic storey, each with a 3-light attic window; against the centre bay there is a two-storey gabled projecting porch with a 3-light mullioned window both on the first floor and above the four-centred arch with dripstone at the entrance to the ground floor porch. The two bays to each side of the central porch projection both have 4-light mullion-and-transom windows on ground and first floors. The south elevation has three gables to the attic storey each with a 3-light attic window; there are two mullion-and-transom 3-light windows on both ground and first floors and an old stone doorway to the right hand on the ground floor. The north elevation is also gabled with 3-light attic windows to the centre and right hand gables only, below this a 3-light mullion-and-transom window in each bay on either floor. To the right of this is the single storey Dining Room of 1890 with a large 4-light mullion-and-two-transom window in a gable, and this is flanked by square headed doors. The west elevation of the Elizabethan house is partly covered by the C19 additions. Five gabled front with a 3-light window in each gable. The first floor has four irregularly spaced 3-light mullion-and-transom windows to the Long Gallery with another for the main staircase and a 2-light one for the secondary staircase. The ground floor is almost entirely covered by extensions. The outer face of this was largely hidden by scaffolding at the time of resurvey (July 2002) but there are two gables with a 3-light mullion-and-transom window on either floor to the Servants' Hall and a semi-circular turret which projects out over the garden stairway. To the right of this the Laundry is hidden behind the perimeter wall. (Listed Building Report)

St Fagans Castle lies 6km to the west of Cardiff, overlooking the valley of the River Ely to the south and a lesser tributary valley to the west. On these sides, steep falls provide its only natural defence, while level ground to the north and east is occupied by the village of St Fagans. Remains of the castle are limited to the much restored southern half of its faceted curtain-wall, its semi-circular course suggesting that a parital castle-ringwork may have constituted the primary castle of the le Sore family which appears to have been established here in the early 12th century. The northern circuit of the curtain wall and any suviving medieval buildings within were removed with the construction of a large Elizabethan country house, with formal gardens set to the north. The site now forms part of St Fagans: The Museum of Welsh Life. (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust HER)

On a bluff above the Ely River is a D-shaped court which is surrounded by C13 curtain wall 2m thick. The moat on the east and north sides has been filled in, the parapets are rebuilt, and the only medieval feature is a narrow pointed postern doorway on the SW which was reopened in 1947 after being blocked for centuries. Peter le Sore raised a ringwork here after dispossessing the Welsh lord Meurig ap Hywell in 1091. In the early C14 the castle passed to the le Vele family by marriage, and in 1475 it passed to David Mathew when he married Alice le Vele. The descendants of their daughters sold the castle to Dr John Gibbon in c1560, who built a fine mansion in the court. (Salter, 1991)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated before 1 February 2016