The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Rug Park Motte

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Dernio; Edernion

In the community of Corwen.
In the historic county of Merioneth.
Modern authority of Denbighshire.
Preserved county of Clwyd.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ05604387
Latitude 52.98389° Longitude -3.40746°

Rug Park Motte has been described as a probable Timber Castle.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


Overgrown mound. Scheduled as Prehistoric Round Barrow but otherwise described as Bronze Age Kerb Cairn, Medieval Motte and Post Medieval Garden Feature. King writes "Motte; no ditch or bailey now. Erected upon a round barrow. Perhaps mentd. 1160 as Dernio" Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust report confirms this as a motte built upon a Bronze Age barrow.

Rug mound has been excavated on several occasions revealing that it is a castle mount raised over an earlier funerary monument. It has been identified with the Castle of Edeirnion mentioned in 1160. The only other castle site in the commote is Owen Glyndwr's Mount (NPRN 300518) on the other side of the Dee. The original mansion of Rug stood immediately north of the mound (illustrated in Arch. Cam. IV (1887), facing 48 & JMHRS I (1949-51), plate 1.12) and is likely to have originated in a medieval house. This is one of several instances in Merioneth where an apparently unfortified mansion is associated with a castle mound, for example Castell Prysor (NPRN 308964) and Crogen (NPRN 306558). This house was replaced by the present mansion at the end of the eighteenth century. The mound had by then been adapted as a landscape or garden feature (see NPRN 265144) and a sketch of about 1700 (reference above) shows it girdled by a wall or path and topped by a tall mast. In the 1690s Lhuyd observed that it was 'adorn'd for an ornamt'. Footings of an octagonal building, 7.8m across, excavated on the summit of the mound probably represent a summer or banqueting house. A standing stone set south of the mound (NPRN 306599) is likely to be a garden feature. The mound is roughly oval, some 30-32.5m across and 3.7m high, with a level summit about 10-12m across. It was first opened in 1875 and was further explored when a storeroom was constructed within it. More scientific excavations were conducted in 1921. The funerary monument consisted of a rough cists, containing fragments of burnt bone, within a cairn about 1.6m across. This was enclosed first by a low wall or kerb, 8.0m in diameter, and then by the oval outer kerb, 32.5-35m across. The castle mound was raised over this kerbed enclosure, and was surrounded by a V-profile ditch, 6.5m wide and 3.0m deep. Seven bone draughts counters were found in 1878-9. (John Wiles 10.07.07) RCAHMW aerial reconnaissance in drought conditions on 31st July 2006 recorded a number of parchmarks around the motte, including the clear line of the plough-levelled bailey to the north-east, and a variety of other cropmarks including those of a rectangular ditched structure. See RCAHMW aerial photographs AP_2006_3965 to 3970. (T. Driver, RCAHMW, 30th Jan 2009). (Coflein) (unfortunately these air photos are not available online)

Rûg Mound comprises the remains of a round cairn with a cist, within a eleventh century castle mound. The artificial mound in its present form represents the motte, or mound for a timber/timber and stone castle. It stands 3.7m high, and is approximately oval, measuring 30-32.5m across. Excavations in 1878-9 to create an ice house chamber and access passage identified a stone-built cist which remains in situ to the rear of the later chamber. Further excavations in 1921 confirmed the dual nature of the mound, identifying burnt bones and soil within the cist., and a mound of stones set within a kerb. At the south side of the mound lies a large standing stone, which is reputed to be the last of a ring of stones which surrounded the burial mound. The later castle site has been identified with the Castle of Edeirnion mentioned in AD1160. The castle motte was formerly surrounded by a V-profile ditch. Octagonal footings excavated on the summit probably represent the footings of a post-medieval summer or banqueting house associated with the eighteenth century mansion. (Scheduling Report)

There are historical references to a castle at Corwen or in the commote of Edeirnion; These are usually assumed to be Rug but could be one of the other castles Glyndwr's Mount, Hendom or a weakly suggested site at Pen y Bryn y Castell.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.

This record last updated 06/07/2016 19:04:32