The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Chepstow Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Strigoil; Strigul; Striguil Estrighoel; Estrighoiel

In the community of Chepstow.
In the historic county of Monmouthshire.
Modern authority of Monmouthshire.
Preserved county of Gwent.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST53369412
Latitude 51.64382° Longitude -2.67593°

Chepstow Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Chepstow Castle is a Medieval Castle in spectacular defensive situation located on the vertical cliffs above the River Wye. The creation of Chepstow Castle is a cause of historical debate; according to the Doomesday Book, William fitz Osbern built the castle in Chepstow, while there are also those who believe until recently that Earl William built at Chepstow. However, most recent research suggests that the great tower of Chepstow Castle was commissioned much later by one of the Norman Kings of England, most likely William I during his visit to South Wales in 1081. The castle remained unaltered until 1189, when it passed by marriage to William Marshal, who at the time was one of the most powerful men in the country. Marshal began to remodel the castle with revolutionary designs in the early 1190s and until his death in 1219 with the construction of a new gatehouse, the creation of the lower and middle bailey defences, the heightening of the upper bailey curtain and a brand new tower in the South West corner. Later, in the thirteenth century, Roger Bigod, the fifth earl of Norfolk transformed Chepstow into a palatial stronghold by building a range of accommodation and service rooms, the creation of a massive tower at the South East corner Marten’s tower and an extension of the upper storey of the great tower. Considerable repair work was required throughout the Civil War as the Castle was garrisoned on a number of occasions. (Coflein–ref. Turner, 2006)

In a commanding position on the W bank of the River Wye. Modern access from Bridge Street, at the base of the slope.
The Domesday Book (compiled 1086) records that a castle had been built by William fitz Osbern who died in 1071, and the Great Tower has traditionally been held to be part of that Castle. Yet it is perhaps more plausible that the Great Tower belongs to the period following the forfeit of the castle to the Crown after 1075. A major programme of building took place under William Marshal (between 1189 and 1219) who rebuilt the upper and middle bailey defences including a rectangular tower at the SW corner of the Castle, perhaps accommodation for William's wife. The D-shaped towers of the middle bailey are very early examples of their type. Recent dendrochronological analysis has dated the doors of the main gatehouse to no later than the 1190s indicating that William was also responsible for the lower bailey although this was subsequently rebuilt. William was succeeded by 5 consecutive sons. The upper barbican dates from this period, as does the remodelling of the Great Tower by addition of an extra storey at the W end. In the last quarter of the C13, Roger Bigod, 5th Earl of Norfolk succeeded to the ownership of the Castle, and built the major suite of appartments in the lower bailey, as well as the massive SE tower (Martens Tower). The Great Tower's upper storey was extended, and the upper barbican tower built. In the C16 timber domestic ranges (lost) were added to both sides of the middle bailey curtain wall. During the C17 the Castle was refortified to resist artillery fire especially on the S.
Within the Castle Walls- Outer Bailey. Outer Gatehouse at E leads immediately on right to the hall range, comprising chamber block, kitchen and service rooms and great hall. Modern entrance and shop constructed under chamber block; upper rooms probably provided accommodation for Bigod's household officers and guests; from outside an asymmetrical range of windows, one with quatrefoil head. Kitchen is situated between chamber block and cross passage, a tall room probably formerly with central hearth; tall 2-light transomed window with quatrefoil head onto outer bailey; wall stands to battlement level with arrow slots. Service passage with wide pointed chamfered arch from bailey separates kitchen from hall range but because of rising ground unusually incorporates additional rooms: lower service rooms entered through steeply pointed arches from main passage which also leads to stairs to rib-vaulted cellar; buttery and pantry are adjacent to hall at intermediate level with large private chamber above - now a display area; renewed paired arched lights to bailey. Square embattled corner entrance tower with angle buttresses, renewed and glazed similar transomed window; paired arched lights under a double hood-mould above; pointed arched doorway in uphill face. This led externally to Great Hall which was also reached internally by stairs from the cross passage. Hall was open to roof and would have had dividing timber screen at service end and dais with high table at upper end, opposite the 3 pointed arched service doorways. Marten's tower at far side of lower bailey is entered through a pointed-arched doorway with studded wooden door of wide planks with heavy iron hinges, protected by a portcullis; flat rear face of D-shaped plan fronts bailey with projecting corner towers; stands to battlement level ( and was still inhabitable in early C19); small trefoil-headed lights at upper level; inserted inward-facing C16 transom and mullion windows with cusped heads to the lights under a square hoodmould. The now floorless interior has wide embrasures to openings on 3 levels, windowless basement; chamfered pointed-arched doorway to mural tower staircase; upper chapel window with floral ornament; intact battlements and access to wallwalk. Middle Bailey. Entrance to the middle bailey is through what was originally an outer gateway to the earlier complex, a large projecting round tower to right with arrow slits, later Tudor insertion of doors and fireplaces, pointed-arched doorway of two orders with massive boarded studded wooden double gates with heavy hinges; remains of Tudor buildings against the adjoining wall; round corner tower to left incorporated into the curtain wall; inner side of wall also has later features. S curtain wall range, reinforced with buttresses, extending from round tower has wall-walk behind the C17 musket slots and access to the D-shaped wall-tower. At upper end is the earliest structure, the Great Tower or Hall Keep; steps up to entrance on 2-bay E side which is a square headed Norman doorway with chip-carved tympanum and two orders of round arches; N side is similar to S which is incorporated into the curtain wall, but with windows: originally hall was lit by the three small round-arched windows on this river side; the C13 modification included inserting heavily moulded pointed-arched first floor windows with quatrefoil tracery, mullions and transoms; internal Norman wall arcade with some surviving plaster and at upper gable end two round openings. Adjacent outside is the gallery, a passage through a double-arched doorway between the Keep and the riverside wall with stepped chamfered-arched openings. Upper Bailey. Small and narrow and bounded at lower end by the end wall of the Keep and at the upper end by the Corner or South West Tower, built to provide domestic accommodation for persons of high status (including Countess Isabella de Clare, William Marshal's wife). Windows have wide embrasures edged with roll moulding, remains of painted plaster. Outer wall removed but that which remains stands to battlement level Adjacent is the high pointed-arched doorway, 2-orders on upper side, with wooden gate with studs and heavy hinges, leading to wooden bridge to barbican. Here the defensive walls are intact; two upper storeys to barbican tower/gatehouse, wall-walk on corbels with intact merlons, range of internal round-arched embrasures to the arrow slits; at SW the corner tower now open originally had a timber inner-facing wall. Postern gate at lower angle.
Magnificent Medieval Castle in spectacular defensive situation on vertical cliffs above the River Wye, aligned predominantly E/W, over rising ground. Constructed of stone, rubble and dressed. Main entrance at E through the Outer Gatehouse comprising twin round towers with battered base, cruciform and plain arrow slits at 3 levels, later square-headed windows with mullions and trefoil-headed tracery; central double arched gateway with portcullis slots, remains of barbican, murder holes, metal-reinforced wooden double doors; high detached arch above. Adjacent to left (S) is a stretch of battered curtain wall standing almost to battlement level with arrow loops. This adjoins Marten's tower, D-shaped in plan with rectangular corner turrets, one with high E facing arched window, deep spur buttresses, deep arrow loops at 3 levels and trefoil-headed lancets, deep coped battlements with arrow slits, crowned by eroded stone figures (C14); also a later 2-light Tudor window. Curtain wall continues at a right angle, slightly curved and following the crest; signs in the masonry of alteration and rebuilding, including a blocked arch; two wide buttresses and range of rectangular cannon slots along the top; this forms the S wall of the lower bailey. At the junction between this and the S wall of the middle bailey is a round tower with battered base, 3 storeys, battlements, arrow slits. Further to W a second D-plan tower, with battered base, battlements, arrow slits. Curtain wall continues to adjoin the rectangular Great Tower; outer wall of 5 bays separated by pilasters of large square stone blocks; originally no windows, one C13 insertion. Curtain wall continues from upper end enclosing the upper bailey extending to the outer face of the Corner Tower with ashlar quoins standing to battlement height with cruciform arrow slits, 2 round-arched windows at wall-top level and blocked arch to plinth, low large blocked arrow loop; this is the top of the upper bailey. At the W end comes the Barbican complex, comprising a tall circular corner tower on a rocky outcrop, with cruciform arrow slits at 3 levels and all angles. The wall between tower and barbican is curved rising from bare rock, intact to battlements and incorporating arrow slits. The tall Barbican Tower itself, also rising from high bare rock, stands in front of the W gateway; sides of tower are battered for 3/4 of their height; three large arrow slits below a corbel table beneath the battlements; tall outer arch (remodelled C20); pointed inner arch with portcullis slots within the pointed tunnel vault; heavy double doors. The N side of the castle complex standing directly on the river cliffs can only be seen from a distance but follows the same sequence except at the E lower end where the outer wall of the great hall, kitchen and service block and chamber block adjoin the E side of the outer gatehouse. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling   Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated 28/06/2017 18:13:03