The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Parc y Castell, St Davids

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Penlan; Cairboias Castel

In the community of St Davids and the Cathedral Close.
In the historic county of Pembrokeshire.
Modern authority of Pembrokeshire.
Preserved county of Dyfed.

OS Map Grid Reference: SM74562517
Latitude 51.87931° Longitude -5.27810°

Parc y Castell, St Davids has been described as a certain Timber Castle.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


Parc-y-Castell is an embanked and ditched ringwork, about 40m by 32m internally, resting on natural valley scarps above the Afon Alun to the south-east, with a probable scarp-edge entrance to the north-east, showing a possible building platform within; a rectangular enclosure, 45m by 40m, banked and ditched, adjoins on the north-east. Thought to have been an early castle of the Bishop of St David's (OS record). Possibly related to linear earthwork (Nprn400105). (Coflein–ref. RCAHMW AP945017/46-8; 965017/44-5 J.Wiles 12.09.03)

Parc y Castell ring and bailey, St Davids. A medieval ringwork castle, with the remains of a rectangular outer bailey, survives in a concealed position on the north slopes of the River Alun, just west of St Davids, between the city and Porthclais harbour. Its origins are unclear and there is no recorded history, although some historians consider it may have been built by the bishops around 1115 to protect the early cathedral precinct from attack (RCAHMW, 2002-cs-0376). (Driver, T. 2007)

The remains of a motte and bailey earthwork castle surviving as a partial ringwork with a 45m. x 40m. rectangular bailey to the northeast. The scheduling description states that the motte survives as a well preserved bank and ditch forming a half circle on the western side. On the eastern and sides a steep natural slope completes the defences. The bailey only has a bank and ditch on the northwestern and northeastern sides, the rest of the defences being formed by the northeastern side of the ringwork and the natural slope. The Ordnance Survey description states that the entrance to the motte was on the eastern side and that a slight platform in the interior may have supported a building. (Dyfed Archaeological Trust HER)

The monument comprises the remains of a well preserved castle-ringwork, which dates to the early part of the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485), located 0.8 km to the west of St David's cathedral. The well preserved bank and ditch form a half circle on the accessible more gently sloping west side, the well preserved bailey bank and ditch is likewise only present on the west. There is no bank and ditch on the east, where the steep drop to the River Alun was considered adequate protection. The ringwork castle may have been constructed by Bishop Bernard, who was appointed in 1115. However, by 1200 the castle had been superseded by the present Bishop's Palace beside the cathedral. (Scheduling Report)

A ringwork-and-bailey castle ('Parc-y-castell') was built on the west side of the valley, either by Norman King William I on his visit to the cathedral in 1081, or by Bishop Bernard (or one of his immediate successors). The castle appears to have been the early administrative centre of Pebidiog and the territorial see, until the construction of the Bishop's Palace at St David's in the late 12th-century, when it was probably abandoned. The mint which operated at St David's during the 1090s, on behalf of the crown, may have been located within the castle, suggesting an earlier, rather than a later date for its construction. (

Is half a mile from the Cathedral which suggests this was initially a royal castle built by William at a time when he was in one of his more conciliatory tempers and not wanting to over impose on the sitting bishop, whilst still establishing Norman royal power. The bishops moved their base to be beside the Cathedral quite quickly or it may be they always had their palace there.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.

This record last updated 07/07/2016 09:29:38