The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Rudbaxton Rath

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Rhos; Simons Castle; St Leonards Rath

In the community of Rudbaxton.
In the historic county of Pembrokeshire.
Modern authority of Pembrokeshire.
Preserved county of Dyfed.

OS Map Grid Reference: SM98541886
Latitude 51.83191° Longitude -4.92545°

Rudbaxton Rath has been described as a probable Timber Castle.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


This is a ringed enclosure with a ringed keep. The outer ring is 320 feet N. to S. internal measurement; 310 feet E. to W. The rampart is 10 feet high with 23 feet fall to a ditch 6 feet deep, 2 feet of which are artificially built up on the S.; 8 feet high, 16 feet fall to a ditch 3 feet deep on N. Entrance to the N. The inner ring is 150 feet N. to S. and 100 feet E. to W. The rampart is 5 feet high with 18 feet fall to a ditch 5 feet deep. Entrance to the N.E. The outer bank beyond the ditch of the outer enclosure commences at a steep declivity on the E. Along the southern side it is of only moderate dimensions, but on the western side it is of considerable width, though no great height. Outside the entrance of the outer enclosure on the right-hand side are the remains of a ruined chapel (RCAHMW, 1925)

Rudbaxton Rath is a subcircular banked, ditched and counterscarped enclosure, about 100m north-south by 95m, having a possible north-facing entrance; resting within the western ramparts is an eliptical enclosure, about 50m NNW-SSE by 32m, presently ploughed-down, but depicted on OS County series (Pembroke. XXIII.13 1889), as banked and ditched, with a north-east-facing, causewayed entrance - thought to represent a medieval castle. On the north-east St Leonard's well (Nprn 305249 - associated with chapel) impinges on the main rampart. The site is said to have been involved in the English Revolution and finds of unspecified armour have been noted. Two twisted iron rings, about 20cm in diameter, possibly torcs and an approx. half-sized iron model of a hand, found 'at "the Rath"' about 1865, thought to be Iron Age, or possibly Roman, although the presence of a castle, holy well and chapel should be taken into consideration. (Coflein)

The monument comprises the remains of a hillfort, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 74, the Roman conquest of Wales). Hillforts are usually located on hilltops and surrounded by a single or multiple earthworks of massive proportions. Hillforts must have formed symbols of power within the landscape, while their function may have had as much to do with ostentation and display as defence. It occupies the summit of a low rounded hill, falling steeply on the east to the Carlett Brook, on the other sides the land falls more gently. Two defensive ramparts run around the contours of the hill enclosing an area of c 100m in diameter. These are quite widely spaced on the west side though run closer together elsewhere. On the east side the bank stands up to 2.8m above the interior and 6.5m above the ditch. The outer bank is slighter and stands to an average of 1.5m. The original entrance appears to have been on the north side. Two twisted iron rings, about 20cm in diameter, possibly torcs and an approx. half-sized iron model of a hand, found about 1865 in the hillfort and now in the collection of the British Museum are thought to be Iron Age, or possibly Roman. Within the western part of the hillfort is an eliptical enclosure measuring c 50m north north west by 32m south south east showing as a step up of 1.5m in the otherwise ploughed down interior, aerial photographs show an accompanying crop mark ditch and on early maps these are shown accompanied by a north-east-facing causeway, the earthworks are thought to represent the later medieval Symon's Castle. On the north-east side of the hill fort and set into the main rampart is St Leonard's Well now within a restored chamber measuring 1.3m high and 1.4m wide externally. The well is associated with the site of medieval chapel just outside the ramparts to the east apparently first mentioned in 1398 and conferred upon Slebech Commandery along with the parish church in 1152-76. (Scheduling Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.

This record last updated 07/07/2016 09:32:16