The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

St Davids Cathedral Close

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the community of St Davids and the Cathedral Close.
In the historic county of Pembrokeshire.
Modern authority of Pembrokeshire.
Preserved county of Dyfed.

OS Map Grid Reference: SM75202536
Latitude 51.88138° Longitude -5.26754°

St Davids Cathedral Close has been described as a certain Fortified Ecclesiastical site.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Close surrounded by embattled wall of fair height. One fine gate in a long projection below a fortified belfry (Porth-y- twr). The whole is impractically large and not well suited for defence. (King)

But the Close, the ecclesiastical palladium, including within its embattled wall the venerable cathedral, the episcopal palace, the still habitable houses of some of the dignitaries, together with the skeletons of several in ruins, exhibit such remains of grandeur as may justify us in forming the most magnificent notions of their former establishment. This close was in circuit twelve hundred yards, had a walk round with a crenelled parapet. The entrance was by four handsome gateways or Porths, answering to the four cardinal points, such as Porth y twr, Tower Gate to the east, Porth Patrick, Patrick's Gate to the south, Porth gwyn, the White Gate to the west, Porth Bwnning, or Bunning's Gate to the north. This enclosure, allowing for the cemetery and suitable gardens to most of the houses, was richly built upon, and in its present state of decadency, as it bursts on the sight from the entrance above the valley, forms a most striking coup d'oeil. The Tower Gate, through which is the principal entrance into the close as leading from the town immediately, and connecting from all the main roads from the interior, consists of a large octagon tower 60 feet in height, with a noble door-way facing the east end of the church, and opening into the churchyard. This building, divided into stories, formed the consistory court and the record office of the see. In the opposite wing, consisting likewise of a tower, but of a very different form, and connected with the other by a range of buildings extending over the gateway, were the council chamber and other large appartments, supposed to have been appropriate to the mayor of the town, as they were only entered by a door and staircase on the town side. Under these apartments were the porter's lodge on one side of the gateway, and on the other a prison with a dungeon in the centre, a dark subterraneous vault or cavern, with no other adit than a circular opening in the floor, covered with a strong grating of iron, by which the malefactors were let into it. (Fenton, 1811 quoted in RCAHMW, 1925)

Situated at entrance to The Cathedral Close from The Pebbles. Large C14 bell tower with attached, possibly C15, fortified gate. Rubble stone part ruinous, the bell-tower substantially restored 1929 by W D Caroe. Bell-tower is large two-stage octagonal tower with moulded plinth and moulded course before set-back bell-stage, ruinous and roofless in old photographs but now with corbelled flat parapet. Bell-stage has large pointed openings, originally longer but part-blocked, with hoodmoulds. Lower stage has E side lancet and N side pointed moulded doorway with column shafts and hoodmould. Studded plank doors. SE stair tower projecting slightly on upper stage and rising to restored octagonal turret. S side obscured by attached gateway. Gateway and S tower added to S in rougher rubble stone with corbel table below former battlements, now ruinous. Rounded S end with higher corbel table. E front has big segmental pointed arch over roadway, small blocked doorway to right with loop over. To right, without break in walling, S tower with one high window, rounded S end with Close Wall attached to SW; W front window at upper level and lower large pointed light to left, just before change in level of corbel table. To left, segmental-pointed large arch over roadway, and above, to left a small window robbed of ashlar. Southern range is roofless, but within gateway, two portcullis slots and double archway on N side, robbed of ashlar, giving access to half-round recess with narrow round-headed doorway. South side has round headed narrow doorway. Studded plank doors with iron strap hinges to both doorways. (Listed Building Report 12541)
Situated to SW of cathedral between raised churchyard and lane running N from the Deanery to the ford. Rubble stone retaining wall, free-standing at S end where there are a pair of big squat square stone piers with pyramid caps to Deanery Gate carriage entry. C20 wooden gates, and small stone kissing gate to N. From gate, some seven metres length, then retaining wall of some 22m length with two blocked loops at S end, similar to those in N wall of C14 St Mary's College and indicating the site of the undercroft described by Archdeacon Yardley in early C18 as 'one large vault of equal length, where materials are deposited for ye use and repairs of ye church". Yardley states that the school, previously in the W cloister, was moved here to what was a 'storehouse, or workhouse for ye use of ye church', and presumably a schoolroom was built above, that survived until 1791 when John Nash converted it into a much criticised chapter house which was demolished 1829. It is not known how much survives of the undercroft. (Listed Building Report 12548)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated before 1 February 2016