The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Angle Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Nunnery; The Almshouse

In the community of Angle.
In the historic county of Pembrokeshire.
Modern authority of Pembrokeshire.
Preserved county of Dyfed.

OS Map Grid Reference: SM86550286
Latitude 51.68383° Longitude -5.08912°

Angle Castle has been described as a probable Tower House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


The Almshouse. Ruin of late mediaeval first-floor hall, parallel to but set back from village street. Reputedly a nunnery, but without historical proof. More positively referred to in 1715 as having been an almshouse. Also referred to on OS plans as a castle, but not known as such locally. Already in ruins when described in 1868. Now a shell with sheds added internally and externally. W side collapsed.
Rubble masonry with red sandstone gravel mortar. Main floor and roof are missing. Loopholes in ground storey walls, but no other details of a defensive character. First-floor entrance doorway is a large arched opening at E of the N side. Large lateral fireplace at W of the N side. Door and window heads of the first-floor hall are of late Gothic type. The E window has window seats not usual in late Gothic, but they are evidence of the domestic purpose of the building. (Listed Building Report)

1. Function and date uncertain, O.S. say 'Probably lesser castle of the 14th century.' Rectangular 2 storey, rubble, quasi-painted obtuse angled arches. Vault below corbel table. (possibly almshouse or Nunnery.)
2. Ruins of a massively constructed two storeyed building, about 6.1m by 4.5m, with walls 1.0m thick.
4. Ruin of late medieval first-floor hall. Reputedly a nunnery, but without historical proof. More positively referred to in 1715 as having been an almshouse. Also referred to on OS plans as a castle. (Coflein)

It appears to have been a building, 20 feet by 15 feet, of two storeys in height. The west side, containing the entrance, has disappeared. The upper floor was lighted by two or three large windows ; a fireplace and a cupboard with stone shelf by its side can also be traced. In the absence of clear indications the building may be put down as of late 15th or early 16th century date. (RCAHMW 1925)

A ruined late medieval hall house. It originally had a massive timber floor instead of a stone vault. Thick walls and narrow ground floor windows hint at some defensive considerations. Probably the caput of the Lord of the Manor of Angle.
The account of this being a nunnery is not substantiated although possibly the first inhabitants of the Almshouses were post-Reformation nuns.
This building, marked as 'castle' on the OS map and called 'Ruined Almshouse' in the Inventory and sometimes called "Nunnery" and "The Old Rectory" is often confused with Angle Rectory. All texts need to be read with great care, particularly with regard to histories which may relate to either building, and with the understanding that authors may well have confabulated the two buildings.
Although the smaller of the two medieval fortified buildings in Angle, this was the manorial centre and, therefore, was the local castle.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling   Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated 03/07/2016 20:54:24