The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Kerry Church of St Michael and All Angels

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the community of Kerry.
In the historic county of Montgomeryshire.
Modern authority of Powys.
Preserved county of Powys.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO14629021
Latitude 52.50206° Longitude -3.25802°

Kerry Church of St Michael and All Angels has been described as a Fortified Ecclesiastical site although is doubtful that it was such.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Located within a circular churchyard on the N side of the Square, at the centre of Kerry village.
Kerry was the early centre of Christianity of the cwmwd of Ceri. The church was reputedly founded in the C8 by Cadwgan, then within the diocese of Llanbadarn. The pre-conquest collegiate church which is believed to have occupied the same site, was re-dedicated on a famous occasion in 1176 when archdeacon Giraldus de Barri (Cambrensis) forcibly claimed the church for the diocese of St David's, excommunicating the rival Bishop of St Asaph at the church door. The present building incorporates a late C12 nave with arcades to N and S aisles, the latter removed in the C17, a stout C12-C13 W tower and C14 chancel. It was restored by G.E. and later A.E.Street from 1881-3, the tower further restored in 1924 by Harold Hughes. The apsidal E end of the Norman church was uncovered during the C19 restoration.
Medieval, C14, arch-braced collar beam roof with windbraces over nave, restored 1883, and arch-braced collar roof with cusped windbraces and 2 tiers of purlins over aisle, the trussed rafter barrel roof over the E end springing lower. Walls plastered. Four bay round-arch arcade to N aisle set on circular columns with round capitals enriched, on the W respond, with dog- tooth. The single order nave arcade develops as a two-order chamfered round arch order against the chancel, with increasing richness, ballflowers and mouldings towards the E. The bases of a similar arcade appear externally on the S side. Fine C14 piscina in N aisle, E end. The upper stage of the tower is timber framed, with very long tension braces. The bellframe is freestanding, of 3 bays, probably C17, with straight bracing to the centre posts, and carries three bells, one dated 1679, another inscribed God Save the Church of England (sic). Glass: E window, a crucifixion, by Kempe, c1871. Fittings: All C19. Font, at W end of aisle, a panelled octagon on a tapering base, raised over 2 steps. Pulpit, oak part octagon, raised on stone steps and incorporating some late medieval work. Altar rail a heavy round pole with terminals, on iron supports. Reredos of Grinshill stone, panelled, with brattished cornice. The choir stalls, of Riga pine, have a front range with book stand. Monuments: At W end of N aisle, (a) a fine monument comprising a casket flanked by reading and writing children. Pedestal over with coloured arms carrying a full portrait bust, all set against a grey stone field. To Richard Jones of Black Hall, later Greenwich, purser in the Royal Navy and benefactor, 1788. Also (b) Oval wall tablet, white tablet on oval, to William Broome 1786. (c) Oval white on grey, to Hugh Maxwell, 1810 (the date altered); (d) Draped urn over tablet, coved corners and guttae, arms and palms, by Booby Fr of Bath, to John Owen Herbert, 1824; (e) White tablet on black, to Rev. John Jenkins , patriot and chaplain to the Duke of Clarence, 1829; (f) Gothic stone aedicule, to Frances Hensley; (g) small white marble tablet to John Pugh, and (h) tablet commemorating the rededication of the church by Giraldus Cambrensis, by Mainwaring, Carmarthen, erected by Thomas Burgess, Bishop of St David's, in 1818. Two early monuments on return wall, a slab to Joseph Bulkeley and wife, 1738 and 9, and a slab incised with a merry putto, to the 'Revd and learned John Catlyn, vicar, 1717. He established a school in Kerry in 1714. On W wall of nave, (i) Gothic aedicule, by E. Clarke, London, to Harriet and Walter Long, 1847; (j) White on grey marble, a figure reading whilst dove descends in light, by F.Tyler, London, to Margaretta Herbert of Forest, 1838; (k) White marble widow reclining on a broken column, by C.Lewis, Cheltenham, to John Herbert of Dolforgan, 1807, and three other small tablets. Under tower, (l) an oval limestone wall monument with border, over a cornice, to Thomas Powell of Mainllwyd, 1778. Furnishings: Two Herbert hatchments on N wall of aisle.
External walls, of 1883, are of Llanymynech limestone with Grinshill freestone dressings replacing the medieval Alderbury-type sandstone dressings. Slate roofs with red clayware ridges. Nave and N aisle of equal length, with independent pitched roofs, the aisle being slightly narrower. Massive tower with varied buttresses and stair projection at NE corner, rising 3 stages to a weatherboarded top, and pitched roof of 2 stages. C19, S porch, has moulded timber-framed front incorporating tracery. Windows all C19 replicating pattern of the one surviving early C14 window with quatrefoil head in N aisle, and 3-light E window. C15 3-light window in E wall of chancel. Early C13 priest's door has large filleted bowtell jambs and head. Tower has one inserted early C14 window on S, and irregularly placed small lights. Also within the churchyard approximately 10m SW of the tower, an C18 or early C19 sundial with octagonal fluted shaft raised on a ball with stylised leaf decoration, mounted on a 2-step octagonal base. (Listed Building Report)

Harrison writes has crenellations and draw bar holes to secure the entrance. It should also be noted it was standard for all churches to use martial symbols like battlements to represent God's dominion on earth and that church towers are structure which have to hold heavy, moving and vibrating bells and which need to be strongly built for this reason, particularly in places, like much of Wales, where mortar is of poor quality.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated before 1 February 2016