The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Aglionby Platt Home
Print Page 
Next Record 
Back to list 

The Gatehouse website record of

Ally:Batties (Westside Tower)

a location shown on a 1590 map of the West Marches of Scotland (The Aglionby Platt)

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as; Berryscaur; Black Esk Tower, Westside; 'ally Batties' Tower; 'blaikesk'; Blak Esk

In the civil parish of Eskdalemuir.
In the historic county of Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
Modern Authority of Dumfries And Galloway, Scotland.
1974 county of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY231929
Latitude 55.22500° Longitude -3.21058°

The given map reference is suggested as the probable location of Ally:Batties shown on the Aglionby Platt.

There are no visible remains.

The likely form(s) of this building in 1590 are;

  • Tower House (gentry)
    Pele House ('bastle').

A section of the 1590 Aglionby Platt. Image reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland
Reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland

For (successor) farmstead (NY 2310 9296), see For Shaw Cottages, Berryscaur (NY 1616 9074)
A slab, measuring 2ft 4 ins by 1ft 2 1/2ins forms the lintel of a cottage door facing the high road at the E end of Berryscaur (NY 161 907). It is sculptured in relief with a shield, showing a lion rampant - the Royal Arms of Scotland; also a holly leaf and saltire - the arms and badge of the Lords Maxwell, and the initials AB.
This stone is said to have been found in 1783, underground, in the remains of an ancient building at Westside (NY 231 929) and was then transferred to Berryscaur. The initials AB are probably those of a member of the Beatty family, one of whom, in 1532, was King's sergeant and officer in Eskdale. The tower of Ally Battie is marked at a place corresponding with Westside on the map of 1590. (RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912)
Dr Brown states that the stone (described by the RCAHM supra, and) noted on was found on Westside farm by Adam Marchbank, who found it when digging in his garden. It bore traces of lime, but the building at Westside has long been demolished. (J and R Hyslop 1912)
Westside is now completely ruined and there is no evidence of a tower to be seen. The stone, allegedly from this site, is still in use as a door lintel in a cottage at NY 1617 9074. The cottage has been modernised and the stone painted over. Visited by OS (BS) 12 October 1978.
(Location cited as NY c. 229 929). There are no visible remains of 'Ally Batties' tower which is noted on a map of 1590 and named 'Blak Esk' in Blaeu's Atlas of 1654. 'Alie Baty of Blaikesk' is on record in 1595.
Carved in relief on a slab in use as a lintel of a cottage door at (Shaw Cottages) Berryscaur is a shield bearing the royal arms of Scotland together with those of the Lords Maxwell and the letters A.B. The slab 'is said to have been found in 1783, underground, in the remains of an ancient building at Westside'. (RCAHMS 1980, visited July 1980. J Blaeu 1654; W Fraser 1878; J and R Hyslop 1912; RCAHMS 1920)
Listed as Westside, 'Ally Batties', tower. (RCAHMS 1997) (Canmore)
The resident householder c. 1590.

See Beatty, John D. and Beaty, Leslie F., n.d., A Summary of Batie and Batison Families in Sixteenth Century Eskdale, Dumfriesshire, Scotland online copy
Hyslop, J. and Hyslop, R., 1912, Langholm as it was: a history of Langholm and Eskdale from the earliest times p. 294 online copy
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Canmore   County HER        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Geology  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth  
Photos >
Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, RCAHMS (or its successor Historic Environment Scotland), County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record created on 06/06/2015 07:45:28; This record last updated on 17/09/2015 10:50:56

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact