The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Aglionby Platt Home
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

The Gatehouse website record of

spadlins (Spedlin's Tower)

a location shown on a 1590 map of the West Marches of Scotland (The Aglionby Platt)

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as; Spedlins Tower, Templand

In the civil parish of Lochmaben.
In the historic county of Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
Modern Authority of Dumfries And Galloway, Scotland.
1974 county of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY09768755
Latitude 55.17397° Longitude -3.41820°

This is certain as the location of spadlins shown on the Aglionby Platt.

There are major building remains.

This is a Category A listed building protected by law*.

The likely form(s) of this building in 1590 are;

  • Tower House (gentry).

A section of the 1590 Aglionby Platt. Image reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland
Reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland

(NY 0976 8755) Spedlin's Tower (NR) (Remains of) (OS 6" map (1957))
Situated on the top of the rising ground on the right bank of the river Annan, and surrounded with ancient trees, this massive keep has a fine and impressive appearance. It is about 5 1/2 miles northwrads from Lockerbie and belongs to Sir Alexander Jardine of Jardine Hall, a fine mansion of the early part of the present century on the opposite side of the river. Spedlin's Tower is the ancient home of the Jardine family, and, as such, is kept in good repair by the present representative.
In a panel near the top of the E side is engraved the date of 1605, which is certainly the date of the upper part of the tower, but the two lower storeys bear the marks of an earlier time. The castle is a parallelogram 46 ft (14m) long by 38 ft 6ins (11.7m) wide. The walls of the two lower storeys are massive and strong, being from 9 ft to 10 ft (2.7 to 3m) in thickness.
The enrance door is on the ground floor near the SE angle. This portion of the walls has been restored in modern times, but the straight stair leading to the first floor has always been in its present position. It is quite possible, however, that the original entrance-doorway was on the first floor, immediately above the present entrance, where there is now a window to a small wall-chamber. The door from the hall to the wall-chamber would in that case represent the inner doorway to the keep, and the existing straight staircase would be the mode of access down from the hall to the ground floor. The staircase is only 2 ft 10 ins (0,9m) wide, while the steps of the newel stair to the upper floors are 3 ft 4 ins (1m) long. The former was thus too narrow for the principal entrance staircase.
The ground floor is vaulted and is lighted with a narrow loophole at each end. It has a portion divided off with a stone wall pierced with two doors. This was probably the private wine-cellar. The hall occupies the first floor and is also vaulted. It was originally lighted with a window in the E wall and another in the W wall near the upper or fireplace end, and there seems to have been also a similar window at the S end of the hall. The two former have stone seats in their deep bays, and that on the E side has a deep ambry. The window in the S end may have been originally similar to the above. It still has a stone seat on one side and the stair to the basement would then enter from the other side of the window recess. But this window has been altered, probably at the same time that the access to the keep was altered, so as to make the entrance directly into the hall. The other window in the W wall, with the sloping recess, was probably opened up at the same time. It will be observed that it is larger and higher than the older one in the same wall. There is a smaller window at a high level above that in the S wall. This would give light to the upper part of the hall, and may have lighted a minstrels' gallery at the S end, which would be the natural position for such a gallery.
From the hall, a newel staircase in the SW angle of the walls leads to the upper floors. We were informed that formerly the prison entered by a hatch from the landing where this staircase begins, but owing to the noisy ghost of a man named Porteous, who had accidentally been strarved to death in the 'pit', the latter was filled up with earth, and is now, together with the staircase, almost entirely choked with branches and other rubbish brought there by the jackdaws.
The two vaulted storeys represent, in our opinion, the castle which must have stood here in the 15th century.
Above this level, the design and arrangements of the building are quite different. The exterior walls are thinned off to 3ft 6ins (1m) in thickness. The windows are larger, and present a much more modern appearance in their internal arrangements.
The whole building is divied into two compartments by a passage running across the centre of the second floor, from which rooms entered to the N and S. These compartments are indicated in the external view by the two gables of the double roof which covered in the tower.
There is a rather incongruous relic of the more ancient plan on this floor, in the garde-robe, which has been preserved in the thickness of the W wall.
Above the second floor there is a third which has been similarly arranged, and above this an attic flat with small loops in the gables, but probably with windows in the roof. The two upper floors are now inaccessible.
The third floor has corbelled turrets at the four angles, which, from their shape and the cable mouldings they bear, are evidently late. The cornice over the central windows of this floor quite corresponds in style with the date of 1605 borne by that on the E side.
We have seen that such towers as Coxton (NJ26SE 12), Hallbar (NS84NW 11), etc., are not uncommon in the 17th century, but such a large and massive keep as this would be somewhat exceptional at this date. We have no hesitation, for the reasons above given, in ascvribing its two lower stories to an earlier period. We have however placed this amongst the simple keeps of the Fifth Period, as the general effect and details of the building connect it more closely with that period than with the previous century. The fireplace of the hall is evidently an instertion of the later time, showing as it does the Renaissance details then coming into vogue, The design of this fireplace has a very striking resemblane to that of Newark Castle, Port Glasgow (NS37SW 1.00). (D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92)
The two lower floors of the 15thc peel tower, with pit or prison 7ft 6in by 2ft 6in and 11ft 6in deep, remains. All above is 17th c. work, now roofless. The date 1605 on a panel is presumably of a reconstruction. (N Tranter 1935; 1965; RCAHMS 1920)
Spedlin's Tower is of outstanding architectural interest and is in a fair state of preservation. Visited by OS (JP) 16 October 1972.
Possible 17th-century garden. (N Hynd 1984)
This substantial late fifteenth-century tower-house, which was remodelled in the 17th century, has recently been restored. It consists of a main block of three principal storeys, corbelled rounds and a double garret furnished with crow-stepped gables and slated roofs. Work has now been extended to the layout of garden terraces and policies, including the building of two new single-storey pavilions flanking the garden terrace to the S of the tower. Visited by RCAHMS (IMS/JRS), 8 September 1993.
Listed as tower. (RCAHMS 1997) (Canmore)

Tower house ingeniously remodelled and upper floors rebuilt in double pile arrangement, circa 1605 (datestone) lower 2-storey part of (?15th century) straightforward large rectangular-plan tower; now 5 storeys. Abandoned by at least first quarter 19th century, re-roofed (slated), and restoration in progress 1988. Rubble-built with ashlar dressings, regularly positioned openings mostly roll-moulded or chamfered, some with iron grilles. Round-headed door at E end of N wall (corbel table suggests original entrance at 1st floor, replaced by window) presumably contemporary with rebuilding (mainly in ashlar) of NE angle to accommodate internal stair. Double-ridged roof with crow-stepped twin gables (no parapets), corbelled bartizans over outer angles have cable-moulding; stacks over gables and over E and W flank wallheads.
INTERIOR: 2 lower vaulted floors have massively thick (9'-10') walls; consoled Renaissance fireplace on 1st floor W wall, wheel stair in SE angle with prison underneath. Upper floors of particular interest with full-length central corridor (spine walls constructed on relieving arches) below roof gully, with rooms leading off.
Notes Seat of the Jardines of Applegarth who built Jardine Hall on the opposite river bank early 19th century. Double-pile plan is unusual for date. Inventory notes related stones at Luce (now at Denbie) taken from Spedlins, one dated 1578, suggesting works about then, one stone dated 1700. MacGibbon and Ross note similarity of fireplace with one at Newark Castle, (on the Clyde), also an advanced building for its date; these fireplaces seem to derive from Serlio's published patterns. (Listed Building Report)

A substantial tower of at least three storeys, two vaulted, in 1590. However there seems to be some suggestion it wasn't actually occupied in 1590 as it was apparently ordered to be repaired and reoccupied in 1600. These repairs were a new set of upper floors, with some decorative turrets, but thin walls and largish renaissance windows, which seem to have been completed about 1605. Where were the Jardine's living before 1600? The improved policing of the border would have come from the presence of a respected lord able to order the local militia rather than from a tower (although the, now lost, barmkin and outhouses, as a base to mobilise such a militia would have been of great value)
One of a large number of tower houses in Scotland with a 'pit prison'. Part of the border warfare was the taking of prisoners for ransom, particularly so for the Scots, so undoubtable there were prisoners. However this small chamber may have actually been a strong room for coin (a floor safe) rather than a prison.
The resident householder c. 1590.

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Canmore   County HER       Listing
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Geology  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth  
Photos >
Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, RCAHMS (or its successor Historic Environment Scotland), County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record created on 02/08/2015 09:32:12; This record last updated on 17/09/2015 10:43:38

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact