The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Aglionby Platt Home
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

The Gatehouse website record of

ye Hollas (Gilnockie Tower)

a location shown on a 1590 map of the West Marches of Scotland (The Aglionby Platt)

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as; Hollows Tower; Holehouse Tower; Armstrong's Tower; Gillknocky Tower; Gilnocky Tower

In the civil parish of Canonbie.
In the historic county of Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
Modern Authority of Dumfries And Galloway, Scotland.
1974 county of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY38237855
Latitude 55.09775° Longitude -2.96958°

This is certain as the location of ye Hollas shown on the Aglionby Platt.

There are major building remains.

This is a Category A listed building protected by law*.

The likely form(s) of this building in 1590 are;

  • Tower House (gentry).

A section of the 1590 Aglionby Platt. Image reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland
Reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland

(NY 3823 7856) Gilnockie Tower (NR) (Remains of) (OS 6" map (1957))
(Attributed to the third period). Hollows Tower. This typical Border keep was the residence of the famous Johnnie Armstrong, whose fate at the hands of James V is the subject of many Border songs and laments. It is picturesquely situated in the valley of the Esk between Canonbie and Langholm. The N end of the tower stands on the edge of a steep bank which slopes down to the haughs by the river. The bank slopes more gradually along the W end, where the entrance to the tower is situated.
The building measures 33 ft 5 1/2 ins (10.2m) from N to S by 25 ft 4 ins (7.7m) from E to W, and from the ground to the lowest level of the parapet walk it measures 40 ft (12.2m) and about 16 ft (4.9m) additional to the highest part of the ruined beacon. It contains a vaulted ground floor 10 ft 5 ins (3.2m) high with shot-holes to the N, S and W. There was probably a courtyard on the E side, which may account for the absence of shot-holes there. Above the basement there are three storeys and an attic.
The entrance-door leads directly into the staircase, which is constructed in the SW corner and partly projects into the rooms inside; the mouldings round the door consist of three flat beads separated by fillets. and the entrance was evidently secured by an outer door of wood and an iron yett. Each floor contains only one apartment, measuring 25 ft 10 ins (15.5m) by 16 ft 5 ins (5m). The first floor has two windows, about 2 ft (0.6m) wide by 4 ft (1.2m) high, with stone seats and a small window, about 14 ins (0.36m), wide high up from the floor in the S end. In the opposite end is the fireplace, the projecting jambs of which have a bead-moulding around them. The joists of the upper floors were supported on projecting corbels, placed unusually close together, being only about 2 ft (0.6m) apart. The apartments on the floors are all very similar, that on the second floor only having a fireplace. There are thus only two fireplaces in the tower.
The corbelling along the top is continuous and consists of five projections, the three upper courses of which are treated as a series of alternating projecting and receding portions of a band. Above these is a cable moulding which was wrought to go round the gargoyles which projected at this level.
The chief peculiarity of Hollows is its beacon lantern perched like a church belfry on the apex of the S gable. Built beacons like this were undoubtedly frequent adjuncts of Border keeps, and although most have disappeared, a few such as Elchieshields (NY08NE 3) and the Tower of Repentance (NY17NE 2) still exist.
The Armstrongs first appeared in the district early in the 16th century when the redoubtable Johnnie Armstrong or 'Gilnockie' settled on the church lands at Canonbie and erected this tower at the place called the Hollws. (D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92)
Hollows Tower, sometimes mistakenly called Gilnockie Tower, is a roofless, but otherwise well-preserved 16th century tower. It is oblong on plan, measuring about 23 ft 2 ins by 15 ft 3 ins within 6 ft thick walls, and has four storeys beneath the parapet, and a garret above. Splayed gunloops defend all except the E wall, suggesting there was a courtyard on that side. It was a stronghold of the Armstrongs, and its predecessor, built in 1518, was burnt down by Lord Dacre in 1528.
The sandstone still of the doorway into the vaulted chamber in the basement is incised with spiral and other markings. It is likely that it came with the stone for the tower from Whita beside Langholm. (N Tranter 1965; RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912; A E Truckell 1963)
On a sandstone slab, built into the sill (floor-slab) of doorway into the vaulted chamber. 2 spirals (1 of 2 1/2 turns) and other incised patterns and lines. Possibly a later carving. (R W B Morris and D C Bailey 1967)
The tower, generally as described, is known as Gilnockie or Hollows Tower. Contrary to Tranter, gunloops defend all sides but there is no trace of a courtyard. The inscribed stone is as described. Visited by OS (RD) 21 December 1970
No change to the previous field report. Visited by OS (JP) 20 February 1973
21. (Listed as 'Decorated stone' and placed in the order of categories among the prehistoric monuments). The sill-stone of the doorway to the ground floor of the tower bears incised decoration which includes fragments of a triple ring and at least three spirals.
144. This oblong tower-house of 16th century date stands to a height of four storeys and a garret, and bears a beacon-stance on the SSW gable. Formerly known as Hollows Tower, it was restored for domestic use in 1978-9. (RCAHMS 1981, visited November 1980; R B Armstrong 1883; J Hardy 1885; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1920; R W B Morris and D C Bailey 1967)
Sometimes called Hollows Tower, a tower house beside the Esk, built for the Armstrongs probably in the mid 16th century. After many years of dereliction, it was reroofed in 1979-80 by W G Dawson and the interior was subsequently made habitable. It is a rubble-built rectangle, c. 10m by 7.6m, with four stories and an attic, Immediately above the projecting base, in each of the W and S walls, a rectangular gunloop; two gunloops, one above the other, in the N wall. Rioll-and-hollow moulded door at the W wall's S end. Roll-moulded windows to the upper floors. Slit stair windows at the S wall's W end. The parapet (now missing, its place taken by a rail) was originally projected on rows of corbelling, the lower ones continuous, the two upper with alternately recessed and projecting moulded corbels. Immediately under the parapet, a rope-moulded stringcourse which has jumped up at the centre of each of the four round angle turrets. Rising within the parapet is the crowstep-gabled attic. Chimney at its N gable. Corbelled out from the S gable is a stone stand on which a warning beacon could be lit in the event of an English invasion.
Inside, each floor was originally filled by a single room, the turnpike stair nudging into its SW corner. Ground-floor store covered by an ashlar tunnel-vault and lighted by a high-set window in the N gable. The sill of the door into this room is a re-used sandstone slab, incised, probably in the second millennium BC, with carving (now worn) of spirals and a key-like symbol. The first-floor hall has windows to E and W in round-arched embrasures; their stone seats have been restored. A third much smaller window high in the S gable. In the N gable, a fireplace with moulded jambs (the lintel missing) flanked by aumbries. The second floor probably contained the principal bedchamber. Windows like that of the floor below in the side walls, their stone seats original. At the N gable's E end, a plain fireplace. In the E wall, a garderobe, with the stone seating in place. The room's S end has been partitioned off as a bathroom. On the third floor, rectangular E and W window embrasures, their slabbed tops sloped towards the exterior. Window seats again. No visible evidence of a fireplace. The S end was again partitioned off in the 1980's. Featureless attic; its floor was raised in the 1980's when the door lintel was removed. (J Gifford 1996)
Gilnockie Tower. Listed as tower and cup-and-ring markings. (RCAHMS 1997) (Canmore)

16th century tower house shell sympathetically restored for domestic use 1979-80, W G Dawson architect. Roughly coursed rubble, ashlar dressings, rectangular or slit openings, mostly roll-moulded, some with relieving arches. Door at S end of W wall; central gun port to elevations at ground level; small-paned windows; splayed base course; continuous corbel table with cable moulding curved over angles, rope-moulding raised at intervals (some upper stonework removed). Crow-stepped gables, corbelled apex beacon platform at S, corniced end stack at N. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: lower level vaulted (prehistoric stone in floor at door to latter); circular stair within SW angle.
Notes The beacon platform is a rarity. Usually known as Hollows Tower, sometimes as GilnockieTower, though local tradition claims that the latter stood on the E bank of the Esk opposite. Upgraded B to A 12.7.88. (Listed Building Report)
The resident householder c. 1590.

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Canmore   County HER       Listing
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Geology  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth  
Photos >
Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, RCAHMS (or its successor Historic Environment Scotland), County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record created on 02/08/2015 09:48:24; This record last updated on 17/09/2015 11:18:53

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact