The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Aglionby Platt Home
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

The Gatehouse website record of

ye Loughhouse (Lochhouse Tower)

a location shown on a 1590 map of the West Marches of Scotland (The Aglionby Platt)

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as; Lochous

In the civil parish of Kirkpatrick-juxta.
In the historic county of Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
Modern Authority of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.
1974 county of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NT08160335
Latitude 55.31574° Longitude -3.44852°

This is certain as the location of ye Loughhouse shown on the Aglionby Platt.

There are major building remains.

This is a Category B listed building protected by law*.

The likely form(s) of this building in 1590 are;

  • Tower House (gentry).

A section of the 1590 Aglionby Platt. Image reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland
Reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland

(NT 0817 0335) Lochhouse Tower (NR) (OS 6" map, (1957))
This tower, situated within a mile of Beattock Station (NT00SE 64), is a fair example of a Border pele. It stands on the brow of a slight hillock, two sides of which were formerly washed by a loch which is now drained away. The tower is 38 ft (11.6m) by 28 ft (9m) with walls 6 ft (1.8m) thick, rounded on the angles.
The entrance door is placed in the E wall, so as to be convenient for the newel staircase in the NE angle. The ground floor is vaulted, and provided with shot-holes. This floor could be used either as a refuge for cattle, or for stores. On the first floor is the hall which measures 27 ft (8.2m) by 16 ft 6 ins (5m) and has a window in each wall. The second floor was probably all in one apartment, like the hall, and would form the private room of the proprietor. Above this was the parapet walk supported on cirbels, and rounded at the angles, but without angle turrets. There was also an attic floor, probably used by some of the family or etainers, who would then be ready for instantly manning the battlements in case of need. The external set-off, where the wall of the top storey is thinned, is not common. It goes all round the tower.
There seems to be no record of the erection of this tower, but, judging from its style, it was probably built in the 16th century. It belonged to the Johnstones of Corehead. (D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887.)
Lochhouse Tower, which is still occupied, is a restored 16th century rubble-built tower. It was perhaps built about the time of the Act of Parliament of 1535; it is mentioned in 1567 as being occupied by a Johnstone. It is oblong on plan, with rounded corners. It measures 37ft by 27ft, with walls 6ft thick; the basement is vaulted. It stands three storeys high, with a flat roof; only the S gable of the garret remains. The interior has been much altered, though some original details have been revealed by recent work. (RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912; N Tranter 1965; W A J Prevost 1980)
Lochhouse Tower (name confirmed) is as described. (Visited by OS (D W R) 24 November 1971)
Lochhouse is a 16th-century tower-house. It is rectangular on plan with rounded angles and stands three stories and a garret in height. There is a plinth at ground level, a set-back at third-floor level, and a continuous corbel-course at the wall-head. The entrance-doorway is towards the W end of the N wall and opened to a newel-stair and mural chamber on the W and E respectively. The ground floor is vaulted. Although restored, there are a number of original openings and three wide-mouthed gun-loops. In the 17th century Lochhouse was the property of the Johnstones of Corehead. (Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) 3 September 1990. RCAHMS 1920; R W Reid 1924)
The ruined 16th century tower of the Johnstones of Corehead was restored as a residence c. 1980. It has rounded corners and external offsets below the basement, double splayed gunloops and the third storey windows. The attic originally lay inside a vanished parapet for which the corbels remain. The tower measures 11m by 8.3m over walls 1.6m thick at the base. The entrance in the E wall is flanked by a staircase in the corner and a tiny porters' room in the side wall. (M Salter 1993)
Lochhouse Tower stands on low-lying ground a mile S of Moffat, and was probably built in the 16th century by the Johnstones of Corehead, in Annandale.
Rubble built, it once had three storeys and an attic, and has the basement course often found in the Dumfries area. The angles are rounded. The walls are taken in a little above second-floor level. The parapet once rested on individual corbels.
There is a vaulted basement, now partitioned. The original door is in the E front, that in the S wall being a modern addition to give access to the part of the vault now used as a store. The section of gable remains. Lochhouse has been reroofed and completely altered internally, except for the turnpike stair in the NE angle, which is no longer in use. (M Lindsay 1994.)
Tower house built for the Johnstones of that Ilk, probably in the early 16th century and certainly by 1562. (J Gifford 1996)
Listed as tower. (RCAHMS 1997.) (Canmore)

16th century rectangular-plan tower house restored and re-roofed circa 1973. 3-storeys with attic, off-set plinth, upper floor in-set. Rubble-built, including rounded angles. Wide-mouthed gun ports to elevations; moulded doorway at N end of long E wall; vertically-arranged windows. Corbels survive of demolished parapet; slated roof rises within latter, with rebuilt skews and end stacks. Door slapping in S wall now blocked. Interior: Ground floor vaulted; chamber in wall thickness beside door; wheel stair within NE angle. (Listed Building Report)

Superior bastle type tower house.
The resident householder c. 1590.

Johnstones of Annandale
Johnston, C.L., 1909, History of the Johnstones 1191-1909 with Descriptions of Border Life (Edinburgh) passim online copy
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Canmore   County HER       Listing
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Geology  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth  
Photos >
Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, RCAHMS (or its successor Historic Environment Scotland), County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record created on 19/07/2015 10:43:26; This record last updated on 17/09/2015 10:38:34

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact