The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Aglionby Platt Home
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

The Gatehouse website record of

ye chapel (Chapel)

a location shown on a 1590 map of the West Marches of Scotland (The Aglionby Platt)

In the civil parish of Kirkpatrick-juxta.
In the historic county of Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
Modern Authority of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.
1974 county of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NT074054
Latitude 55.33444° Longitude -3.46078°

The given map reference is suggested as the probable location of ye chapel shown on the Aglionby Platt.

There are no visible remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

The likely form(s) of this building in 1590 are;

  • Tower House (gentry)
    Pele House ('bastle').

A section of the 1590 Aglionby Platt. Image reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland
Reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland

(NT 0739 0551) Chapel (NR) (OS 6" map, (1957))
See also NT00NE 84 for farm cottages adjoining ruins, which incorporate the Eastern gable of the chapel.
The 13th century chapel of St Cuthbert, traditionally said to have been built by the Knights Templars who for a long time held the lands of Chapel, Craikscraigs, Gardenholm and Holehouse (Keddie 1855) was apparently oblong on plan, 21'6" by 44'9". All that remained in 1912 was the W gable, which contained a pointed arched doorway, and a fragment of the E gable. Keddie adds, 'there are remains of extensive buildings close by to which the chapel was attached.' (RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912)
The W and E gables of this chapel are still standing. The tradition still survives, but the dedication could not be confirmed.
To be supplied by Field Surveyor. (Visited by OS (I A) 20 August 1973)
NT 0739 0549. The ruinious, ivy-covered E wall is approximately 7.0m high and 6.0m wide; it has a blocked doorway 2.0m high and 0.9m wide with red sandstone quoins. It forms one end of a small occupied dwelling. The W wall, 4.0m high and 3.0m wide, has a pointed window of red sandstone with fragments of tracery which appears to have been three lancets. Both walls are crudely mortared. (Visited by OS (M J F) 30 August 1978.)
On Chapel farm (NT00NE 84) there are recorded a fragment of a tower, a traceried window of 13th-century date, and a number of earthworks.
All that can be identified of the tower, which has been of at least two storeys, is a fragment of its ENE wall which has been incorporated into the WSW end of a 19th-century cottage. The surviving fragement measures 6.4m in length from NNW to SSE by 2.3m in thickness at the base, which is battered externally on its ENE side. Central to the wall and on the WSW, there is tall arch-pointed door- or window-opening which is probably of composite construction and has latterly been infilled. This is dressed with ashlar and wrought with a chamfered arris which is 100mm broad on the arris of the arch and 50mm on the jambs. The corresponding arch-pointed head of the opening is also apparent in the attic. A lintelled mural passage extends from the SSE side of the arch-pointed opening. It has been partly built up and the interior is choked with rubble, but the passage may be the remains of a mural stair. At the NW angle of the wall there is a mural recess, perhaps the remains of an aumbry.
About 10m to the WSW of the wall-fragment of the tower, and set on a plinth which is probably of 19th-century date, there are the remains of a three-light traceried window with solid spandrels and a weathered sill on its ENE side. A robber trench on the WSW would indicate the former presence of a small enclosure (measuring 6.6m by 3.8m overall) abutting this side of the wall. Since the window has almost certainly been re-constituted in its present position, it is uncertain where the building from which it came originally stood.
To the NW of the upstanding fragment of the tower and bounded by 19th-century field-walls, there are a number of scarps, low banks and shallow gullies; their date and purpose are uncertain.
The remains are said to be those of a chapel, dedicated to St Cuthbert, which is said to have been founded by the Knights Templar; this association is unproven. Keddie, however, adds that 'there are remains of extensive buildings close by to which the chapel was attached'. The traceried window and upstanding wall-fragment are probably derived from an ecclesiastical building, possibly a church or chapel, but the exact character of the tower remains uncertain. (Visited by RCAHMS (IMS), 14 June 1991. W Keddie 1855.)
Listed as tower, chapel and hospital (possible). (RCAHMS 1997.) (Canmore)

Shown as a fortified house on the 1590 map. The presence of a chapel suggests a high status house rather than a bastle. However if a Templar chapel would have been abandoned by 1590 and the Templar lands may have sublet to tenant so a bastle can not be excluded.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Canmore   County HER   Scheduling    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Geology  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth  
Photos >
Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, RCAHMS (or its successor Historic Environment Scotland), County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record created on 19/07/2015 09:57:32; This record last updated on 17/09/2015 10:38:29

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact