The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Fowberry Tower, Chatton

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Fulbery; Fowberye; Folebir

In the civil parish of Chatton.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NU03992934
Latitude 55.55767° Longitude -1.93905°

Fowberry Tower, Chatton has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


The tower at Fowberry is first mentioned in a list of Border holds drawn up between 1513 and 1517. In 1532 the Scots burnt Fowberry, but the tower or stone house is mentioned again in 1541 and 1590.
The origin of the present mansion house is doubtful. A writer in 1757 states that Fowberry is an "ancient pele modernised" and it has been suggested that a bastle house existed here. There are, however, no signs of any work earlier than the late 17th century, and a foundation stone bearing the name of John Stother who was living in 1678 is now in the floor of the kitchen.
In 1776 the house became the property of the Blake family who decided to enlarge it. The 17th century building was not demolished but completely embedded in the new work. The width of the house was more than doubled, the new part being on the north side, and wings were added at each end. A new front wall was set up immediately in front of the 17th century one, which remains behind it (Dodds 1935; Bates 1891; Hodgson 1828).
Fowberry Tower is situated upon a gentle E-facing slope, and overlooks the valley of the River Till to the N. It is an oblong building facing S, with two small wings at either end. The facade on the S side, and the wings, are of 18th century design, of coursed,bonded sandstone, with flat arched casement windows on the ground floor, and square headed, moulded windows on the 1st and 2nd floors. The W wing has a modern extension built in the same style. The N face is built in pseudo-Gothic style, with tall, pointed-arch windows, machicolation decoration and battlements. Inside the building, can be seen the original N face of the 17th century building, now a party wall between living rooms and a corridor, at each floor level. No part appears earlier than 17th century.
The earliest reference to Fowberry appears in a series of certificates known as the "Testa de Nevill, 1212-1241", when William de Folebyr held Folebyr.
When the W wing extension was made for the new kitchen, many tons of rubble were taken out of the ground. The rubble was of compacted stone, and appeared to be some very old foundations. The stone, bearing John Strother's name, was inserted in the S wall of the extension. The lintel to the door in the W wall of the extension, bearing the inscription James I W 1709, came from Yorkshire, and has no connection with the building. It was merely utilised for the purpose (F1 ASP 06-DEC-55). (PastScape)

Presumably the tower of Fulbery in which a widow lived in 1509 when assessed as capable of holding a garrison of 20 men. Mentioned in 1715 as "a handsome house" The garrison of 20 men was the minimum size which suggest this was a small tower.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:10

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact