The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Harehaugh Old Farm

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Harecleugh; Hareclough; Hare Cewgh; hare clewgh

In the civil parish of Harbottle.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY97339989
Latitude 55.29316° Longitude -2.04356°

Harehaugh Old Farm has been described as a certain Bastle, and also as a Pele Tower but is rejected as such.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


House. Early C17. Roughly-coursed stone. Roofless. 2 storeys. Scattered fenestration: 3 bays. Tudor-arched doorway to right in multi-moulded square- headed surround. Left of the door a small square double-chamfered window. Left of this, a 2-light window now lost mullion and with casement, under hoodmould. To left a door, formerly a one-light double-chamfered window under hoodmould.
On the 1st floor 3 sash windows. Ruinous at time of survey and interior filled with rubble of collapsed roof making inspection impossible. (Listed Building Report)

Harehaugh - The border commissioners of 1541 reported that:-
"At a place called the hareclewgh one Rog' Hangingshawes hath lately buylded upon his owne Inhyerytance a strong pele house of stone in a convenyent place for resystence of the Incourse of theves of Ryddesdayle, and he ys not able in defaulte of substance to p'forme and fynyshe the same" (Bates 1891).
D D Dixon suggested (Dixon 1903) that this unfinished tower was Woodhouses pele, (NT 90 SE 2) but there seems to be no ground for the identification beyond the fact that Woodhouses is not mentioned in 1541, and that there is now no trace of the tower at Harehaugh or Harecleugh. It seems more probable that the tower was never finished and that all trace of it has disappeared (Dodds 1940).
NY 97339989. The old farmhouse of Harehaugh, now used as an outbuilding, is a substantial structure of two storeys, measuring 16.5m x 6.0m, whichfrom two doorways in the E front is of late 16th early 17th century date. Its N wall now an internal division, is 1.7.m thick and its E wall is 1.0m thick. The thickness of the other walls could not be determined.
It seems probable that the remains of the unfinished 'Hareclewgh' pele of 1541 were incorporated in this later Tudor building (F1 DS 26-FEB-71).
The pele tower, unfinished in 1541, was never completed and was later converted into a small house which is now a ruin in the farmyard at Harecleugh (Dodds 1999). (PastScape)

The survey of 1541 recorded that Roger Hangingshaw had recently built a strong pele house (a bastle not a chamber tower as suggested by Dodds 1999), but not finished, of stone to resist thieves from Redesdale. This may be the old farmhouse now used as an outbuilding. It is of two storeys. Constructed in roughly-coursed stone with two storeys and scattered fenestration. In 1971 the building was in use as an outbuilding but by 1986 the structure was ruinous and filled with rubble from the collapsed roof.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:27

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact