GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Haughton Castle, Humshaugh

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Houghton; Hawghton

In the civil parish of Humshaugh.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY919729
Latitude 55.05063° Longitude -2.12804°

Haughton Castle, Humshaugh has been described as a certain Tower House, and also as a probable Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Castle. C13, remodelled and heightened C14. Alterations c.1780, c.1816 and 1845 by John Dobson. West wing 1876 by Anthony Salvin; further internal alterations 1889. Heavy coursed rubble with dressings, west wing squared stone with ashlar dressings; flat leaded roofs; external stair to east under timber canopy hung and roofed with stone slates. Rectangular tower-house with angle turrets.
South elevation 5 storeys, 5 bays, irregular, partly concealed by ivy at time of survey. 2-storey arcade of blocked segmental-pointed arches, the central partly behind 1845 2-storey oriel with 2-light 1st floor and 3-light 2nd floor windows. 1st floor shows 2-light C19 windows to right of oriel bay; 2nd floor three 2-light C14 windows with transoms and trefoiled heads, partly renewed; elsewhere various chamfered loops. Embattled parapet with taller end turrets and corbelled-out centre turret. To left, west wing in 2 sections; slightly- projecting left part 3 storeys, 2 bays, with arched doorway; right part 2 storeys, 3 bays; 2- and 3-light transomed windows; embattled parapets.
East elevation shows 1812 external stair with late C19 canopy; above left 1845 oriel to oratory; to right projecting turret with chamfered set-backs and 7 levels of chamfered loops.
North elevation similar to south, with tall blocked arches and central 1845 bay. C16 2- and 3-light transomed windows with round-headed lights to 2nd floor, some restored. End turrets show corbelled-out garderobes at different levels.
Interior: basement has parallel axial segmental vaults with chamfered ribs. Mural stair at east end to 1st floor, newel stair to upper floors in south-west turret. Various mural chambers including former 1st-floor entrance lobby on south, with good moulded C13 doorway, and 2nd floor oratory with piscina in south-east turret. Fittings and furnishings mostly C19, but including 2 richly- carved C17 overmantels from Derwentwater House, Newcastle.
The mid-C13 hall house may have had a 2-storey hall block with a taller solar tower at the east end, the whole heightened in the C14 when the arcades (a defensive feature, meurtriere in the arch soffits protecting the wall foot) were infilled. (Listed Building Report)

Haughton Castle dates back to at least the 14th century, when it was fortified. It was first called a castle in 1373 when the original tower house was heightened and turrets were added together with parapet walks. At this time the castle was owned by Gerald Widdrington and, although it was still owned by the Widdringtons in the early 14th century, the Swinburns were living in it. By the 16th century the castle seems to have been falling into disrepair and ruin and an attack by Border reivers in 1541 saw nine horses and goods worth £40 stolen from it. No major improvements were carried out until the early 19th century when it was turned into a fashionable country house and parkland was laid out.
The early development of the castle shows it was an upper floor hall house with turrets and a parapet added in the 14th century. Outside, there is a unique feature in the blocked five bay arcade of tall pointed arches in each long wall. Inside the castle the basement has vaulted sections with small loop openings. The basement has been altered to create and opening into the 19th century extension. Above the basement are three or four floors in different parts of the castle. Outside the castle a 16th century drawing shows a barmkin and gateway to the south. Traces of the barmkin are apparently visible in dry weather as parchmarks on the lawns. The castle is probably one of the earliest 13th century upper floor hall houses in Northumberland and must be one of the best preserved hall houses in the north of England. (Keys to the Past)

In its original form this was probably a chamber tower attached to a hall house (i.e a 'pele tower') but was altered in the C14 into tower house. Both the Swinburn's and Widdrington's were gentry (knightly) families but at the top end of that social bracket with baronial aspirations (which William Widdrington achieved in the C17).
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤