The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Fenham Tower and Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Fenham Mill

In the civil parish of Kyloe.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of County Palatinate of Durham.

OS Map Grid Reference: NU08674073
Latitude 55.65974° Longitude -1.86374°

Fenham Tower and Castle has been described as a Timber Castle although is doubtful that it was such, and also as a certain Pele Tower.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


The monument includes the remains of a monastic agrarian grange at Fenham. The site is situated on sloping ground leading down to the coast, at the edge of Fenham Flats. It has a clear view eastwards across to Holy Island. The grange was originally in the possession of Holy Island Priory. The monument consists of the remains of a moated manor house surrounded by a precinct wall and a series of enclosures containing the remains of service and agricultural buildings, crofts and tofts, the remains of medieval agricultural systems and part of the mill-race which served Fenham Mill. Cropmark evidence from aerial photographs suggest that the site may have extended into the ploughed field immediately to the south of the visible remains, however, this area has not been included in the scheduling as the extent and nature of the cropmark remains are not sufficiently well understood. The remains of the manor house are situated approximately centrally along the southern edge of the site. They comprise a rectangular building constructed on a low, sub-rectangular platform. The building is 28m long by 15.5m wide, the walls survive as stone banks 2.5m wide and up to 1.5m high. The building is divided internally into three rooms, the two northernmost rooms contain large stone mounds with domed tops, 2m in diameter and 0.5m high. The platform on which the house is built has maximum dimensions of 35m by 33m, it is up to 1m high. Situated in the south west corner of the platform, immediately to the south of the main building, are the remains of two rectangular stone buildings up to 14m long and 8m wide, the walls survive up to 1m high. The platform itself is surrounded by the remains of a well constructed, mortar-bonded, wall with dressed stone faces and a laid rubble core of large irregular blocks. It is 1m wide and up to 1.1m high and has a simple gap entrance 1.5m wide near the centre of the west side. This wall formed the boundary of the inner courtyard. Slight traces of a ditch to the north and west may represent the moat which was built around the site in 1385; the abbey mill-race runs directly behind the southern edge of the manor house complex. To the east and north of the inner courtyard is a second, larger, enclosed platform, possibly originally an outer courtyard to the manor house. This enclosure is a maximum of 53m east-west by 105m north-south; it is defined on three sides by a well constructed stone wall 1.5m wide and up to 1m high with an entrance 4m wide in the south east corner. On the north side, the edge of the platform falls away sharply, this fall is enhanced by the hollow way which runs parallel to it. This edge is defined by a stone faced bank up to 1.5m high. The foundations of a rectangular building, 10m by 8m, abut the outer north west corner of the bank and west wall. The interior of the enclosure contains the remains of ridge and furrow cultivation. To the east of this outer enclosure are the foundations of at least two steadings, aligned east-west. The westernmost steading is 17m long by 7m wide, with walls surviving up to 2m wide and 0.3m high, the building contains a central cross-passage with the eastern cross-wall clearly visible. A yard, or garden, area 10m by 12m lies to the rear of the steading and is defined by a low bank. A second steading lies to the east, this is 20m long by 7m wide and the interior is divided into four equal sized compartments, although the building narrows towards the east end. There are slight traces of a possible third steading beyond this, but evidence of this has been largely removed by later activity in this area. At the rear of each steading is a toft, or plot, 50m long. They are clearly visible as single wide ridges, with a narrow stone bank running along the bottom of each furrow marking the edge of the plots. The southern boundary of the plots is defined by a stone wall which abuts the east wall of the outer courtyard. This wall is 1m wide and up to 1m high, it contains a number of reused architectural fragments. The east edge of the plots is defined by the remains of a robbed field boundary wall which runs parallel to the modern wall which defines the edge of the field at this point. To the north of the steadings are the remains of a small rectangular field, defined by a much robbed field wall, which has been used until recently as a market garden. This area has been much reduced by recent activities and is not included in the scheduling. To the west of the manor house site and outer courtyard are a further range of buildings and enclosures. A large sub-rectangular area, with maximum dimensions of 100m by 110m is defined by low earth and stone banks, and by the remains of the mill-race which runs along the southern edge. A sub-rectangular building with a rounded north end is situated in the south east corner of this area. The walls, up to 1m high, are well constructed of dressed stone, the east and south walls are incorporated into the outer boundary walls of the enclosure. The building is 33m long by 10m wide, the interior is divided into three compartments, the central one of which comprises a raised platform, 5m by 5m and 1.7m high. On the same alignment, 35m to the north, foundations of a further structure, 9m by 6m, are incorporated within the wide northern bank of the enclosure. Within the interior of the enclosure are the circular foundations of a building, 10m in diameter. These are believed to be the remains of a dovecot and this is substantiated by the fact that the field was called Ducket Close from as early as the 16th century. Immediately to the west of the enclosure is the site of a well, now capped with a large block of sandstone supported on smaller boulders. To the north of the enclosure are the remains of further house platforms and a hollow way which runs east-west for virtually the entire length of the site. Fenham was a member of the Bishop of Durham's estate of Islandshire. It was granted to the monks of the Durham cell of Holy Island in 1082. The Account Rolls of Holy Island Priory contain detailed records of building and agricultural activities, and of the equipment of the manor house, grange and mill. From these records it is clear that the grange practised a mixed farming economy, growing wheat, barley and oats and rearing sheep, pigs, cattle and fowl. A chapel was built on the site shortly before 1200. In 1326 it was recorded that the tithes of Fenham, Fenwick, Beal and Scremerston were collected in the chapel at Fenham. The manor house is recorded as being built or repaired in 1339 and, in 1385, 40 shillings was spent 'for making a ditch round the manor house at Fenham'. By the end of the 14th century the lands were being let to farm. At some point a defensive tower was constructed, as in 1560 it was referred to as 'a towre in good repair'. The township was granted to Sir William Reade, a captain of Berwick upon Tweed, after the Dissolution. A full inventory was taken of the estate at his death in 1603 and this records in detail all the rooms within the manor house, including the 'towre chamber', and all the ancillary domestic and agricultural buildings in use at that time. The house was bequeathed to Sir William's son, but had passed out of the family by the end of the 17th century. (Scheduling Report)

Benedictine grange or manor house of Lindisfarne Priory, built or added to in 1339 AD, with a moat or a ditch in 1385 AD. A tower was standing in 1560 AD. Now just a mound surrounded by the remains of a precinct wall and ditch and a series of enclosures thought to contain the remains of service and agricultural buildings, crofts and tofts, the remains of medieval agricultural systems and part of a mill race. Some sources suggests this as site of a small motte and bailey of late C11 date. Although this is a manorial centre there doesn't seem to be any evidence for this suggestion. The tower is certain; the castle is questionable.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact