The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Whitton Tower

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Whitton near Rothbury; Wytton; Wytton

In the civil parish of Tosson.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NU05650104
Latitude 55.30340° Longitude -1.91257°

Whitton Tower has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Tower house and attached house, originally a 'vicar's pele' and later the rectory; now divided into two units. C14 tower; attached house mid C19. Tower squared stone, house ashlar; Welsh and Lakeland slate roofs. Irregular plan. C19 house in Tudor style.
Entrance front entirely C19. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Castellated porch in 3rd bay. Mullioned and mullion-and-transom windows, under hoodmoulds on ground floor, floating cornices on 1st floor. Complex and irregular roofs with elaborate kneelers, shaped gables and large corniced end stacks.
Attached to rear, 4-storey tower with chamfered plinth; 2 small slit windows with chamfered surrounds lighting staircase. C19 mullion-and-transom bay window with castellated top. Parapet and corner turrets C19. To rear the shield of the Umfravilles.
Interior: Tower walls c.8 ft. thick. Basement has pointed tunnel vault entered by doorway with shouldered lintel; fine ashlar well in floor. Ground floor has high pointed tunnel vault divided into two rooms by later wall. Ground-floor entrance has tunnel-vaulted wall passage whose inner and outer doorways have pointed arches and continuous chamfers; the outer doorway now blocked. A 3rd door, with shouldered lintel, leads from this passage to base of stone newel stair. The staircase has another door also with shouldered lintel, directly into the main vaulted room. Similar original doorways lead from stairs on upper floors.
Attached house had cantilevered stair with slender turned balusters. 4 pointed stone arches in hall. Several stone Gothic fireplaces. (Listed Building Report)

Tower and a little barmkin at Whitton (Hadcock).
Whitton; a small village on a high ground south of the river Coquet in which is a tower belonging to the Rector of Rothbury (Hodgson 1916).
Mentioned in the 1415 Survey as the 'Turris de Whitton, iuxta Rothbury'. Described in the 1541 Survey as a tower and a little barmkin being the mansion of the parsonage of Rothbury and in good repair (Bates 1891).
The former rectory of Rothbury is a pele tower of the 14th c. It was repaired at the end of the 17th c, altered and enlarged in the 18th c,and almost completely rebuilt but for the more indestructible lower parts, by Rev C.G.V. Harcourt, who also had built the modern east wing in Tudor style.
On the north side are the kitchen wing and extensive out-buildings round the 'lytle barmekin' of 1541.
The old tower measures externally 46 feet north to south and 33 feet east to west, and is still about 60 feet high on the north side, but only 42 on the south side where the ground rises.
The entrance was near the west end of the north front, where there is a small doorway, with a pointed head, and surrounding chamfer. Within is a lobby, from which it is almost certain a doorway led to a mural stair on the west side. An inner door leads into the vault, roofed by an unribbed pointed barrel roof running north and south, and pierced by a small square hatchway in its southern half. The ground floor has walls more than 9 feet thick, and a well 3 feet in diameter, said to be 15 feet deep.
The first floor is covered by a plain pointed barrel ceiling which may be modern. In the south east corner, a newel stair leads up to the roof. In the centre of the east wall of the second floor is a recess covered by an elliptical arch, interupted at its south end by a modern passage to the east wing. In the south wall of the recess, which was no doubt part of the oratory, there is a piscina carved with oak leaves and having an ogee-leaded fenestella.
The battlements are modern, and none of the external openings, apart from the entrance door, now within the kitchen wing, seem older the the 18th c. (Dodds 1940).
The tower seems evidently to be the work of the last half of the 14thc. Some sort of stone house may have been built on to the tower in the 17th c. The east wing was built after 1784, and rebuilt in Tudor style later.
The first floor stone vault may be accounted for by the fact of its being on ground level on the south side. The pointed inner door from the east side of the ground level still remains and near it the shouldered door that leads to the wheel stair (Bates 1891).
On the west front, a carved shield probably contains the arms of Alexander Cooke, Rector of Rothbury, 1435-1474, who probably restored the tower and built the upper stange in which the shield is inserted. The piscina was discovered during alterations in 1871. The masonry throughout is massive, especially in the lower courses, where the quoins consist of huge blocks of sandstone; a rudely chamfered base runs around the whole building. About midway up the wall is another stange, above which the work appears to be of later date.
The tower stands near the summit of a ridge, formed by one of the lower spurs of the Simonside range of hills, on the south bank of the Coquet, and commanding an extensive view up the valley to the west (Dixon 1903).
The walls at the base are 11 feet thick, in the kitchen, 9 feet, and towards the top, 6 feet. Whitton Tower was a few years ago acquired by Sir Angus Watson and turned into a children's hospital (Tomlinson 1902). (PastScape)

In an appendix on bastles in Castellarium Anglicanum (vol. 1 p. lxviii) David King suggests a bastle at Whitton, listed by Mr Dixon, can be identified with this site. King is incorrect in this as Dixon refers to Whitton Farmhouse.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:10

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact