The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Shrewsbury English Bridge

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Old Stone Bridge; Monks Bridge; Abbey Bridge; East Bridge

In the civil parish of Shrewsbury.
In the historic county of Shropshire.
Modern Authority of Shropshire.
1974 county of Shropshire.
Medieval County of Shropshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ49611238
Latitude 52.70655° Longitude -2.74766°

Shrewsbury English Bridge has been described as a certain Fortified Bridge.

There are masonry footings remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


The predecessor of the English Bridge of 1769-1775 was a medieval structure divided into two distinct sections. The bridge over the main Severn channel from Wyle Cop to Coleham Island was generally known as the Stone Bridge; eastwards, from Coleham Island, over the former eastern channel of the Severn, to Abbey Foregate, it was known as the Monks' Bridge or the Abbey Bridge; the distinction between the two very broadly reflects the respective jurisdictions of the town and the abbey as defined at law in the early 16th century, after a protracted series of disputes. The bridge(s) were almost certainly in place by, but perhaps not long before, 1121, when two charters of Henry I to the abbey refer to the two bridges at Shrewsbury, probably this one and the St George's (Welsh) Bridge; a timber predecessor of Saxon date is highly probable, though there is no supporting evidence, other than the pre-Conquest development of the Foregate suburb. A 19th-century sighting of stone walls in the middle of Wyle Cop suggest that the Stone and Monks' Bridges had a combined length of at least 290 metres (950 feet). A W Ward maintained (p.19) that the Stone Bridge had six arches of varying spans, including the drawbridge, and the Monks' Bridge eleven, though this is probably based on late sources that may underestimate the extent of the structure already buried by encroachment and reclamation at the Wyle Cop end. The last pier on the Stone Bridge towards Coleham Island supported the Stone Gate or East Gate, east of which was the drawbridge. The East Gate, used as a prison, was badly damaged by floodwaters and debris in 1545 (Ward p.20). The drawbridge was replaced by a solid arch in 1732 (Ward p.25). The bridges were demolished in stages between 1769 and c.1772. The part of Coleham Island affected by the work was removed in 1769-72; in 1771-2 the arches of the Abbey Bridge were being demolished, and the channel around and under them infilled with the debris and material from Coleham Island (Ward pp.55, 58). Substantial remains of the Abbey Bridge can be expected to survive beneath the present roadway east of Coleham Head, towards the north side of Abbey Foregate in the area of nos.7-8. Substantial remains have been seen under Coleham Head itself: a 'mass of solid masonry' several feet thick was reported 'exactly opposite the west end of the Congregational {now United Reform} Church in 1897 (Phillips). Substantial remains of the Stone Bridge are likely to survive under the centre of the roadway at the bottom of Wyle Cop, opposite nos. 35-40. A detailed MS plan (?by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard) exists of the bridges at Coleham Island in the 18th century, including the buildings upon it, the site of a possible mill to the north of it, and a section through the roadway at the parish boundary. This was used by Ward to produce a reconstruction plan of the bridge, on which the UAD cartography is in part based.
Parts of the old bridge structure lie under the current roadway at the bottom of Wyle Cop and may extend southwards as far as the pavement. (Shropshire HER)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:30

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact