GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Monmouth Town Walls and Defences

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Mingui; Mouemewe; Clawdd Du

In the community of Monmouth.
In the historic county of Monmouthshire.
Modern authority of Monmouthshire.
Preserved county of Gwent.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO509129
Latitude 51.81318° Longitude -2.71045°

Monmouth Town Walls and Defences has been described as a certain Urban Defence.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Apart from one tower incorporated into the Nags Head public house no upstanding remains of the town walls of Monmouth survive (murage grants of 1295 and 1315), however excavations have located almost the entire circuit of the defence. Clawdd Du, Over Monnow is a prominant ditch, with traces of a bank, extending c.550m but obscured at either end, enclosing the suburb of Over Monnow, across the Monnow Bridge from Monmouth. Excavation in 1966 indicated that the work was of two phases, divided by a layer provisionally dated 1250-1350. The outstanding surviving bridge gate is listed separately because of it particular interest. (Derived from Coflein)

On the historic north and east entry to the town, but now a cul-de-sac
Early C19, but incorporating in its structure remains of a tower of the eastern or Dixton Gate of the town. The medieval work is probably C15 and how much fabric from this date may survive in the present building is unknown. The Dixton Gate was otherwise demolished probably in the C18 and was replaced by the turnpike gate further down the street.
The medieval fabric is red sandstone rubble, the C19 fabric is probably also red sandstone but may be brick, particularly in the upper storey. The tower remains unpainted, the inn is rendered and painted and the south-east wing of the inn, formerly the stable, is painted rubble; Welsh slate roofs with red brick stacks. Main rectangular block with the half round tower on the north gable, east wing projecting from south-east corner. Two storeys with an understorey, the tower has a battered base. The entry to the main block is in the gable end and has a recessed door on the left with a flat hood on brackets. Two windows on each floor, all 4 over 4 pane sashes except at top left which is 6 over 6. Gable with wavey bargeboards. The street front has a small cellar door, a plate glass oriel on the ground floor left and two 6 over 6 pane sashes left above. Plain roof with stack on left wall front slope and another on right gable. The tower has a 6 over 6 pane sash on the ground floor and an 8 over 8 above. Small casement in timber framed gable of main block behind. The east wing, formerly the stable, has a plain door and a 2 x 2 light casement window, plain roof. Rear elevation not seen. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing   Historic Wales
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated on Saturday, December 6, 2014


¤¤¤¤¤