The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Monnow Bridge Gate, Monmouth

In the community of Monmouth.
In the historic county of Monmouthshire.
Modern authority of Monmouthshire.
Preserved county of Gwent.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO50451249
Latitude 51.80902° Longitude -2.72000°

Monnow Bridge Gate, Monmouth has been described as a certain Fortified Bridge.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Monnow Bridge is a three span stone bridge, dating from c.1272, carrying a gatehouse of c.1290. It was widened on both sides in the early 19th century, when the cut-waters are thought to have been refaced, but not extended, and pedestrian arches were cut through the flanking towers of the gatehouse. Fortified in 1839. Part of: Monmouth medieval town walls. (Coflein)

Sole remaining example of its type in the UK, built between 1297-1315 when Monmouth was being walled in stone. It consists of a guardroom over the gate and a single arched gateway (the present small pedestrian side arches are a C19th addition), the whole standing in the centre of a bridge. The bridge provided an outer defence on the west, giving access between the defended suburb of Clawdd ddu and Monnow Street, which led up to the town and castle. Alterations have been carried out from time to time and the gatehouse was last occupied by troops in 1839 at the time of the Chartist troubles. (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust HER)

At the entrance to Monmouth's principal commercial street which leads up the hill to the town square from the south-west.
Medieval Bridge and Gateway, built in the late C13 (traditionally 1272) to replace a timber bridge built by the Normans (now known to date from the 1170s). This was a part of the general improvement to the town's defences and walls undertaken c1297-1315. The only surviving bridge gateway of its type in Britain, although altered in the C18 and C19. The tower has been used at various times as a toll-house, guard room, gaol and house-of-correction. The gatehouse was last occupied by troops during the Chartist troubles in 1839. In 1705 it was converted into a two storey dwelling and the battlemented parapet was removed and replaced by a roof arrangement similar to the present one, but this was reconstructed in 1832. In 1819 the bridge was widened and the narrow north passageway pierced for pedestrians involving considerable alteration to the structure, with the loss of the original staircase. Originally the total width of the bridge was comprised within the width of what is now the roadway, and footways have been corbelled out on either side. The south footway was supposedly made in 1845 but has a later concrete roof. Recently (2004) closed to all traffic and a programme of works and repairs initiated.
The interior shows much more clearly how the stonework was repaired and raised in the C19, including a number of courses of red brick at the eaves. The roof structure has principal rafters with ties, all machine cut, and numerous light secondary rafters and purlins. The garderobe survives internally. There is no stair or surviving second floor.
Built of coursed red sandstone rubble with some patching in buff sandstone, stone slate roof to gateway. Stone arched gate tower built on the eastern pier of the three arched bridge. The bridge has three pointed arches, with cutwaters on both sides of the piers, but the arches are segmental where the outer faces were added in the C19. The gate tower is elliptical in shape with two distinct elevations. The west elevation has a tall recessed slightly pointed arch with foot arches on either side, the north one with a pointed head and the south one with a Caernarvon head and flat concrete ceiling. Above the main arch there is an overhang with three arches on brackets under a wide relieving arch. There are murder holes, while within the main arch there are grooves for a portcullis. There are slit windows on either side of the arch and another window above the centre of the relieving arch. Projecting garderobe on the north-west side. The east face is plainer and shows signs of more considerable rebuilding, with patching round the arch. Round headed window above the centre of the arch. The inner faces of the main arch have an oak access door on the south side and the blocked original access on the north side which once gave entry to a spiral stair. but this was lost when the north foot-arch was built. The roof has projecting eaves on corbel brackets and is in the form of two half cones joined by a central ridge. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling   Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated 03/07/2016 11:35:15