The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Pencoed Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the community of Langstone.
In the historic county of Monmouthshire.
Modern authority of Newport.
Preserved county of Gwent.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST406894
Latitude 51.60039° Longitude -2.85852°

Pencoed Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Pencoed Castle is a substantial courtyard castle, now derelict and abandoned. Parts are completely ruined, other parts have been partially restored, chiefly the range on the east side of the courtyard. The castle was probably first built in the early thirteenth century by Sir Richard de la More, but of this phase only the round tower in the SW corner of the courtyard remains. Most of the surviving castle dates from the first half of the sixteenth century, when the castle was owned by Sir Thomas Morgan and his successors. Leland, in 1538, called it 'a fair Maner place'. There is a three-storey entrance gatehouse on the W side of a rectangular courtyard, which is surrounded by a ruined curtain wall on the W and S sides. There are very partial remnants of a curtain wall on the N side. To the N of the gatehouse there was originally a gabled building butting against the gatehouse. The main residential block was along the eastern side of the courtyard. This stands largely intact and partially restored. Close to the N side of the castle stands a twentieth century house, probably built in the 1920s by Eric Francis. Originally the castle was surrounded by a moat (filled in on the north and east sides), and the remains of this are visible on the west and south sides. The castle's history was uneventful, and it changed hands several times and was neglected from 1751 until it was bought just before the First World War by Lord Rhondda. He intended to restore it and started work with the architect G.H. Kitchen. But work stopped at the outbreak of war, and was resumed by Lady Rhondda and her daughter in 1919, with the architect Eric Francis. However, work was again abandoned, and in 1931 the Rhonddas sold the castle, since when it has been neglected. (Coflein)

Located at the end of a narrow lane from by-road off B4245, approx 1km S of Llandevaud village and 1km E of Llanmartin.
Fortified Tudor manorhouse thought to have been built by Sir Thomas Morgan during the first quarter of the C16 on the site of a moated Norman castle held in 1270 by Sir Richard de la More and in 1306 by Maurice and Walter de Kemeys. The Manorhouse possibly incorporates part of the earlier castle. The Morgan family resided at Pencoed until the end of the C17. By 1780 the castle has passed into the hands of the Gwyns of Llanhowell. During the C19 the castle was let to farmers. In 1914 Lord Rhondda purchased the castle along with Penhow Castle and proceeded to restore it. After his death in 1918 the work ceased.
The castle consists of a large three storied Tudor manorhouse constructed of dressed stone and re-faced in ashlar to the front (W) elevation, with battlemented parapet. The great hall is aligned on a N/S axis with a central three storey porch on the front (W) elevation. The porch is square in plan, full height and with segmental pointed outer door opening with segmental headed recess above. To the right of the porch is a two storey, two window bay, with five-light transomed hall windows to the ground floor and two five light windows aligned above. To the left hand side of the porch is a three storey, two window range with two and three light windows. To the left of this is a further range, the remains of a three storey projecting wall with three openings in it separates the two ranges. The three storey N wing contains the kitchens on the ground floor and the S wing contains further accommodation. The castle has been much restored, being refaced, reroofed and refenestrated using Tudor style chamfered mullion windows. The side and rear walls are mainly unrestored, although some replacement windows are evident. Parts of the masonry appear to be of heavy character suggesting retention of earlier fabric. Two large, three storey wings project at N and S ends of the rear elevation. (Listed Building Report)

Moat and round SW tower may be relics of a castle held in 1270 by Sir Richard de la More, and in 1306 by Maurice and Walter de Kemys. It passed to the Morgans of Tredegar in C15 and a big new mansion on the east side and the gatehouse on the west side were built by Sir Thomas Morgan in c1490-1500. The gatehouse and corner tower are ruined and the mansion lies in a gutted and derelict state, though still with some flooring and the roof more or less intact. (Salter)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling   Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated 02/07/2016 20:51:32